Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Understand Something

@GingerPeach wrote:

It doesn't seem to me that these people died for a cause of their choosing.  They didn't die for a cause at all.  

So even if they knew they would be killed for admitting their faith (and I'm not saying that is what happened), how would that benefit them, or their families, or anyone?  

It seems to me trying to stay alive by fooling a deranged gunman would be the optimum for continuing on their own good paths and continuing to be around for their family, friends, community, and more.  And to continue to practice their faith. 

If one is an adult who is responsible only for themselves, I can see deciding to make that choice.

But if one has under-age children, or elderly parents, or anyone who depends on them for food, shelter, love and guidance or help in their daily lives, then "deciding" (not saying that is what occurred in this instance) to martyr oneself - whatever the reason - sounds selfish to me. A chance to die for one's faith? Heck, forget the kids, hubby or mom & dad, this is for *me* and I'm going for it.

I would think a deity would want you to stick around to fulfill the obligations of faith that are tied to family.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

They did not "decide" to martyr themselves.  They were horrifically killed by a madman because of who they are.

Respected Contributor

Some of you are saying your god allowed this to happen?  

Respected Contributor

Wonder why their god didn't protect them?   

Heck, this topic is going to get tossed out of this place.....rules you know.   

Respected Contributor

This topic says it all, "I Don't Understand Something."

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

They did not "decide" to martyr themselves.  They were horrifically killed by a madman because of who they are.

You missed the part where I said I was not specifically speaking of the recent occurence, but speaking to those who have said within the thread that they would have no qualms about identifying themselves because then they could have THEIR greatest wish (being closer to God). I said what about those dependent on them? Is the individual proclaiming their faith (and likely losing their life for it) somehow more important than their family? Are they more important to themselves than anyone else?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I'll have a whack at anwering Sparrow before this is poofed.

Yes.  God allows bad things to happen.  Absolutely. 

Here's the other thing, Christianity is not a sound byte religion.  You can't grasp the gist in a few messages on a shopping channel forum.

I will say that for Christians like myself, death in this life is not the ultimate evil.  It is just one part of an eternal life, and it is not the best part either.

Protect them?  Indeed God does.  

Respected Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

I'll have a whack at anwering Sparrow before this is poofed.

Yes.  God allows bad things to happen.  Absolutely. 

Here's the other thing, Christianity is not a sound byte religion.  You can't grasp the gist in a few messages on a shopping channel forum.

I will say that for Christians like myself, death in this life is not the ultimate evil.  It is just one part of an eternal life, and it is not the best part either.

Protect them?  Indeed God does.  

.........................................................................................

Nearly two people die each second.

105 people die each minute.

6,316 people die each hour.

151,600 people die each day.

55.3 million people die each year.

Respected Contributor

Ugg,  I need candy.   

Valued Contributor

I don't know, Moonchilde.  I think you're thinking about this all wrong.  Being martyred isn't like winning the lottery.  I haven't seen anyone on this thread desire it.

It's more like being killed for who you are.  For instance, I am American.  If someone kills me for that, it is not my fault, not my wish, just the excuse used to murder me.  I'm also Native American.  Again, if someone kills me for that, it is not my fault, nor my wish to die.   I will just die for being who I am.  I hope that makes sense.