Respected Contributor

Re: I Don't Think I Was This Dumb As A Teenager.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you did dumb stuff too. No generation is immune. We all did dumb and unsafe things. I wouldn’t be pointing any fingers. 🙄
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Down through the centuries some people have always been dumb. I think they are the minority ,and not the majority, and certainly not all of them have been teens.

I don't know anyone ,of any age, that has done Tik Tok

As far as kids wanting to do things for attention, , a lot of them are far too old to be considered kids

What you look for you will find..

Honored Contributor

More and more adults - especially of a certain generation - seem to have selective memory when it comes to themselves.  Makes them feel superior.

Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast  I said in a prior post that I did dumb stuff as a teen.  However, it was nothing that would have harmed or killed me. Let me tell you if I had intentionally short an outlet because everyone was, my a** would have been grass and my parents would have been John Deeres.

I was aware as a teenager that sticking metal in an outlet was not a smart thing to do.  And I certainly wasn't dumb enough or so starved for attention that I would have done the fire challenge.  What part of putting a lighter fluid on yourself and igniting it is normal teen behavior?

Honored Contributor

No, my friends and I didn't do any stupid or dangerous stuff when we were teens.  We never drank, did drugs or smoked.  We were raised to be responsible and we were.  We were dumb, I suppose because our parents told us they would disown us and we believed them.

Honored Contributor

It was a different era. Kids didn't have their own cars, they drove the family car  when they went out, and heaven help you if you made a dent or a scratch, and you had better not   have gotten a ticket ,either

If myself ,or any of my friends had any weird ideas ,we were far to naive to know how to carry them out.. WE might have been the last  of the mohicans,as far as the old order of things...Some of it was good, but I also think it is good to be a bit adventurous and spirited, sometimes. Rebels have their place in society the same as all of those who were kids that toed the line

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  I didn't drink or smoke as a teen either.  My parents expected me to use the brain they knew I had.  I had fun as a kid but I knew if I wanted any kind of social life while in high school drinking, smoking and doing dangerous stuff was out.

I would have been grounded until I graduated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think op said she never did any thing dumb.  I think she meant things that are being done now are more dangerous and more "out there".  I guess it depends on your life experiences whether you find that true or not. 

I had a psychologist tell me once that, at one time, kids were married at 16, and many handled it well.  Then there was the 60's and that "so called" mature age was more like 21.  Then kids weren't really growing up till their 30's and now it's around 50!!   Maybe he wasn't too far off .  I'm not sure what constitutes an "adult" these days.  Maybe I will look it up in the dictionary.  Ha!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Dumb stunts are the way Nature culls the heard. Some people, adults as well as teenagers, are just too stupid to live so they are removed from the gene pool.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Dumb stunts are the way Nature culls the heard. Some people, adults as well as teenagers, are just too stupid to live so they are removed from the gene pool.

@Buffalogal47  I don’t believe that at all. In fact it sounds ridiculous.