Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Think I Was This Dumb As A Teenager.

@GenXmuse wrote:

We did stupid stuff; we just don't have the evidence. 

Exactly right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TikTok is HUGE!  I'm on it.  It started out in China and is now one of the biggest social media out there.  And in Asia as big as Facebook. 41 percent of  users are aged between 16 and 24. Some of videos are hilarious.  In India alone it been downloaded  467 million times.  It only started to get big in the U.S.  

Respected Contributor

Give me a break. I'm sure you have done lots of dumb stuff. This post makes you look self-righteous, not smart.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Sure, I did dumb stuff as a kid but nothing that would have harmed or killed me.

If my Mother caught me trying to eat laundry soap or stick a penny in an outlet as a teen she would have taken me to a Dr. to have my head exmained, thinking there was something wrong with me. Then she would have grounded me for months.

It's like the old saying, if your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too.

Your generation smoked while pregnant and put kids in truck beds with no seatbelts.

Who are the dumb ones again?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

All teenagers do dumb things. Some are dumber than others- like swallowing goldfish or changing seats in your car while at a red light or eating tide pods. I don't think any generation has the lock on teens and dumb ideas.

Regular Contributor

I know I did stupid things as a teen and have said numerous times that I thank the good Lord for nothing permanent coming out of those stupid things except wisdom.  I have a teenage son and whenever I see these things I just take a screenshot of it, text it to him and tell him to don't ever try this.  His response has always been "Mom, I am not that stupid". He is right he typically isn't but I always feel better after at least reminding him to not be.  

Honored Contributor

looking back I did some pretty dumb things... and I was a really good kid.

Kids just do not think out  things like adults... does not matter what generation or good or bad kids... it just is what it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I was waiting for that too.  There are millions of great teenagers out there. However, the ones willing to set themselves on fire, (the fire challenge from a few years ago), and eat detergent might rethink being on social media if they are that easily lead.

I am just amazed at the number of teens who will do anything (even life threatening stunts) for "likes" from people they don't know, and who don't give a rat's backside about them.  I am not wired that way. I've never been that needy for attention to care about whether strangers, or even people I know, "like" what I do. 

Like I've said, my kids are adults and no grandkids to worry about with this trend, and if someone else's kid wants to risk harm or burning down their house, it's their problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

My mom used to tell how she and a bunch of cousins soaped rail tracks back in the 1920s.  Evidently when the train stops they WILL chase kids.

Nothing new to see here, move along.

Trusted Contributor

I think a lot of us are in the same age range and when we were teens, we didn't have social media and most of us had jobs after school...and even chores at home. I know I didn't have a lot of time to just "hang out" and do something stupid.