Frequent Contributor

Re: I Don't Like USPS Leaving More After Mail Delivered

@Susan Louise wrote:

I guess I don't see it as something to complain about...

You got your package and the USPS is doing their best to make sure folks get their mail ASAP underneath all the circumstances.

Our USPS driver will occasionally deliver twice in a day...sometimes it's 2 different drivers/trucks. It doesn't bother us one bit.

Exactly. So the carrier comes back to deliver the package and it still isn't good enough for the OP? I don't get it. Like you said the USPS is doing their best and they work extremely hard under very difficult conditions. I get so tired of people bashing the USPS.

Honored Contributor

@lopsie2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@lopsie2 wrote:

OP, why aren't you signing up for text and or email notifiction for updates for each package? Every single time a package is scanned you'll get an update text or email.

@lopsie2 I do have that.  However, it doesn't work very well.  Packages that have been delivered are still on the list.  

What 'list' are you talking about? You simply to to USPS.com, put in your tracking number. When the page comes up with tracking info you click on "text and email updates" then put in your information. If your package says its been delivered but it's not in your box or at your door you need to call your local post office ASAP.

@lopsie2 No, there are lists of mail and packages on Informed Delivery for USPS.  I can see what is coming, what is in route and has, supposedly, been delivered.  There are lists and you can check mail that wasn't delivered and that is recorded. 

The lists aren't always up to date, so no, I'm going to wait until the next day to see if it shows up.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  While your regular letter carrier does deliver packages along with the mail the USPS also now has specific package deliveries separate from the regular mail delivery. I suspect they're just trying to keep up with the volume. As for Fedex, all bets are off, though their performance has been a bit better in my area lately. Knock on wood it stays that way because it was pretty inconsistent there for quite a while.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Sometimes you need to vent.  UPS on Saturday will not deliver a pkg to my apt. door but rather leave it for anyone to take where the directory is with names of occupants and not actually in the building.  Pure laziness and does not ring my bell.  Before I moved in this building the postperson always delivered packages to everyone and I also received this service when I moved in.  Our current mail person transferred and we were given a new carrier who did not deliver any packages but rather leaves them by the mailboxes on the floor.  My point is the pkgs. were delivered for over 30 or 40 years and the new carrier can't deliver them.  Talk about lazy.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1   Did you try contacting USPS to find out if there has been a change in procedures? I've found our local post office very good about passing along comments to their drivers (including dumping all packages by the mailboxes instead of delivering them to individual apartments). It's worth a shot with UPS, particularly if it''s only happening a single day during the week. While there are no doubt lazy delivery people, there are also several other potential  reasons for any issues someone has concerning delivery.

As far as ringing the doorbell (I dont' have one, so at my door it would mean knocking) please, Please, PLEASE just leave my packages by my door.  True story: one day I'd waited as long as I could for a package I was expecting before dashing out the door to get to the bus stop for the last bus I could possibly take. I thought I heard a knock, but couldn't just drop what I was in the middle of. As I was leaving I checked my mailbox and found the "we missed you" slip in the box. Happened to catch up with the postman on the way to the bus stop. Got my package (and missed my bus). Turned out one of my neighbors didn't want packages left if whe wasn't there to receivve them

Bottom line: It brought home to me that it would be almost impossible to keep track of the preferences of every one on a route, especially for drivers who didn't have months (even years) of experience on that route.

Honored Contributor

FedEx is always slow in my area. UPS is always better than FedEx though.  Regular mail is not much better.  We now get mail 3-4 days a week. They deliver when the mail accumulates.  The slowest pace that people get mail is Washington, DC.  So my delivery is better then DC.

Respected Contributor

It's the same here. Sometimes packages come at different times. Sometimes we even get them delivered on Sundays  from USPS! 📦📬

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

My carrier does this all the time if it's not regular mail. Why make him/her carry more than necessary? It's perfectly ok with me.

Respected Contributor

My pet peeve is their leaving packages in the street in front of the large mailbox when the packages won't fit - as opposed to driving down our long driveway and leaving them there - or even leaving a notice to pick  them up at the post office.

Thankfully, no one has driven - or walked  - by  and stolen them, but it's not beyond possibility - especially when Nextdoor and Ring are constantly reporting people stealing packages from the doorstep.

And yes I have complained.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner   Sometimes you need to vent.  UPS on Saturday will not deliver a pkg to my apt. door but rather leave it for anyone to take where the directory is with names of occupants and not actually in the building.  Pure laziness and does not ring my bell.  Before I moved in this building the postperson always delivered packages to everyone and I also received this service when I moved in.  Our current mail person transferred and we were given a new carrier who did not deliver any packages but rather leaves them by the mailboxes on the floor.  My point is the pkgs. were delivered for over 30 or 40 years and the new carrier can't deliver them.  Talk about lazy.

@Katcat1  Same here. And the allegedly customer-focused Amazon (and, occasionally others) are about the same. Of course, it depends on the driver, but our newest USPS 'professional' has apparently decided that packages always go in the lobby, despite a clear sign advising delivery personnel to deliver to apartment doors. Up until the pandemic, we had a concierge service, so all packages went to the concierge and we would pick them up at our convenience. Since then, the concierge service is kaput, probably not coming back, though we pay more than ever for our supposed staff. The service was a good one, but I've always preferred my packages coming to my door and our last USPS letter carried, once the concierge service ended, always complied. I can't tell you how many times I've contacted Amazon and asked them to follow the delivery instructions on my account. Most of them do, but some of them just can't be bothered. As for USPS, I'd rather have them at my door but the lobby is preferable to having to go and pick them up, which defeats the purpose of ordering for delivery in the first place.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...