Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Dislike The Newer Cars.

@homedecor1  DD loves the heated seats.  If we lived where it is consistantly well below 0 they might be nice, but we don't get too many days like that.

I've driven many decades in the winter and never my butt was going to freeze and off because of the cold. To me leather seats and a hot steering wheel in the summer are more uncomforable. A cold steering wheel, I have gloves.

I decided to ignore the extra krap on that car. In, put in drive and go. I know where the basics are, wipers, turn signals etc. I have no problem driving in silence, meaning no radio. Touch screen can take a  hike. I don't need the back up camera I've managed with mirrors and looking behind me without it so far. Never hit anyone yet.  

Esteemed Contributor

My 2012 Pruis is just fine.  Great dashboard, lots of bells and whistles but certainly not like what is available today.  MY 2018 Rav 4 is a great car BUT, good grief the controls are confusing, my ability to access them is difficult while driving and the lane assist with its harsh noise when we go over a line on a curve is annoying. (We live near lots of road twists and turns... rural life I guess.  Looking just to find another car... new one.. but one that is less rather than more.  Not my age either, I am totally computer literate, I love technology but driving these days should not be a competition between me and my car.                                                               

Honored Contributor

Talk about distracted driving...........

'Ten-four', O/P

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What somewhat 'bugs me' is that almost all of the cars look alike..........not much side and back window visibility, bullet shaped, etc.  

No matter which price range.  From low to high, they pretty much all look alike.

I like the 2019 Subaru Forrester.........a simple, nice car.......much better visibility.  Rides nice, too, for that particular category.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

We bought a 2015 in 2018 and were and still are stunned at the bells and whistles.  I like most of them and ignore the rest .  

But my favorite thing by far is not having to dig keys out of my purse to get into the car and to lock the car.  I haven't seen my key in months.   Just touch the handle and get in.   Touch the handle and it locks.   Fabulous.  No digging.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think cars the last couple years all look alike. Nothing stands out.  My husband and  were looking at cars on the road the other day.  We were looking at volvo, mercedes, honda, and another asian made car that was going so fast couldnt get make.  And they were small suv's, and they all looked identical. The mercedes was no different than the honda. Same back, same lines, windows,  i swear all the new cars look like they were sqeezed out of a birth canal

we bought our Land Rover in 2016 because it was the last hear for the LR4.  Sure enough 2017 land rover turned into a car that is identical to the other mid size suv's.  Sales went down too 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty   Yes, I agree that most of the cars on the road now all look very similar to each other.  I keep being told by a particular neighbor who had the hots for my older vehicle, that my new car just isn't as nice as the old one.  Says its not the same when he looks over and doesn't see the Mustang.

Well the car was a nice looking car, but I'd had it for about 20 years.  It was time.  So now I have a small cx vehicle and yes, it looks like other cross overs on  the road but its cute and zippy.  Doesn't have the ooomph the V8 engine had, but its plenty good enough for my needs now.

Seems to me if people don't have anything nice to say quit saying it.  I told this person I am enjoying the new car and I like it just fine.  Get over it!!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was talking to my insurance agent about a month ago and he said there has been a big increase in accidents due distracted driving because of the gizmos in the cars now.

Makes sense, along with people texting and talking on their phones. I think I will stay home. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was talking to my insurance agent about a month ago and he said there has been a big increase in accidents due distracted driving because of the gizmos in the cars now.

I highly question that.

There have always been 'gizmos' in vehicles. 

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I had a perplexing issue in my new vehicle.  Now don't laugh, but, I couldn't figure out how to turn OFF the radio.  I knew how to MUTE the radio, but how does one turn it completely off?

So I read and re-read the manual - nothing addressing this issue.  Went online and googled and sure enough there were many entries where other people were asking this exact same question.  Turns out THERE IS NO OFF.  You can only mute it or play it - that's it.  So I have to learn to live w/that teeny tiny little icon by my clock telling me the radio is on - whether its playing or muted.

Another light I have to ignore is if I have no passenger in the front seat, I have a dashboard light that comes on and tells me that the passenger side air bags are disabled.  Do I really need to be told that?  Now if I have a passenger - very infrequent - the light will not appear because the seat senses someone sitting there, thus the airbags are ready to blow if need be.

Another goofy dashboard light is my engine coolant light.  It lights up blue and stays blue until the car has warmed up enough.  When I first saw that I thought wth - pulled out my War n Peace car manual and read that light is supposed to come on to let me know the car is not sufficiently warmed up.  Oh and there are other things, but all in all, I like the car and am pleased with it. 

I tickled myself a couple of months ago I was cleaning the dash ect.. and vacuuming out my car had a self service place.  Some how while cleaning my dash and all the gizmo's I turned on my flashers.  I had no ideal how to make them stop and boy did I try.  Finally I just finished up and went back home and knocked on the door of a neighbor whom I had yet to meet and drives the same car.  I asked her if she could help turn them off and in her p.j.'s came out fixed me up.  Off I went back to finish my errands.  I felt so foolish driving home with my flashers blinking and no emergency whatsoever.  I rarely if ever drive at full dark and since my headlights stay on all the time that is not an issue for changing.  At my first state inspection with the car a couple of weeks ago the man asked me to hit the High Beam light.  I said I do not have a clue how to do it.  He just smiled and said never mind.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."