Respected Contributor

Re: I Dislike The Newer Cars.

@ECBG wrote:

I drive a classic 4 Runner and as long as I can get into it, I'm staying!  Jest sayin", lol!!!!!

Ha me too up until April 2019. 1996 4runner, big steel bumpers on it. Garage kept. Got me around and beyond for 24 years without a hitch and regular maintenance. It was “fully loaded” for its time. Unfortunately it developed a big oil leak and had almost 300,000 miles on it and hubs said not worth putting that much into it. Truth be told, the interior was truly showing its age, but I did love it.  So I got me a used Honda Pilot 2015. I do love it, but it’s like driving an airplane.  My adult kids tell me mom, you have so many features on this why don’t you use them. Why? Because all I need to do is drive. Not live in it or lounge while I'm driving.  Took me forever to figure out the headlights, interior lights and heater. Jeeze. And I don’t consider 64 old. Technology has just come so far so fast.

Respected Contributor

I am 64, so I am not going to consider myself all that old, LOL!  But I love all the new fangle dangle stuff on my car.  I did have to take it slowly and learn, but once I did there is no going back for me!

I keep the key fob in my purse, never get it out.  Don't have any problems with it setting off anything else, no problems at all with the Explorer.  Love the automatic windshield wipers. Mine also has controls on the steering wheel for the radio, etc.

One thing that I have come  to really like is the new cruise control.  I love that the cameras on the front picks up when crusing down the highway and someone pulls over right in front of you, it automatically slows down to allow a certain amount of space.  Used to be, I had to hit the brakes & sometimes even disengage the cruise control because some "really nice" person pulled over right in front of me.  So, I really like the features of the new cruise controls.  Not once have I had any kind of problem with it. 

In normal conditions, I disengage the lane assist.  But boy have I loved that feature on a few rainy nights when I had to drive.  During those times it was very difficult to see the lanes due to the rain & reflection of lights off of the roadway.  Turned the lane assist on & it helped quite a bit to make sure I stayed on the road.  One night I was on a country 2 lane road with quite a few curves, so I was singing the praises when the lane assist really helped. 

I tease my kids that with the way technology is going these days that instead of taking my keys away in the future, they can just put me in my car and tell it to take me home.  LOL!  LOL!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I AGREE!  That is why I am keeping my 2000  venture van. Key ignition...simple on and off lights, radio.etc.  Hate the new Cars!

Honored Contributor

I all for advancement but all these new features lead to more car problems. Same goes for appliances!

Honored Contributor

So glad I "factory ordered" my car.  Besides all the stuff that came w/the car, I got rid of some stuff & added other stuff.

After 2 yrs, I have finally learned how to use some of the stuff w/o checking the War & Peace size user manual, because.............

I found out this past December when I took my car in for its winter checkup, the mechanic told me my car will "talk" to me giving me step by step instructions.   The key word to use is "HELP."  I tried it, & my car answered back "What can I help you with?"

That being said........

I still cannot adjust to using the electric window on the driver side.  Human error on my part.  I keep rolling down the back windows while driving. hidemf3.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I can relate.  I recently traded in my state of the art (in 2001) vehicle for a 2019.  Good grief.  How did I manage to drive for the last 45 years w/o all these safety features and not have any accidents?  My touch screen does not allow you to touch it while in drive, you have to use either the buttons on the steering wheel or the 'master command' knob.  I am dreading when the time change happens and I have to change the clock.

Yes, this vehicle is easier for me to get in and out of.  It's cute and better on gas - 30+ mi. a gallon.  The lane change thing is annoying but I believe it is easily disabled just by pressing the button and turning it off.  Haven't yet. The key fob thing is OK, but the manual states to replace the battery EVERY YEAR!  Really?  My other key w/door openers lasted me the 20 years I had the car.  A good thing is the car insurance is not as xpensive because it does have all these safety features.  I'm sure in a few years I'll get used to it.  Woman Tongue

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  I have been driving for over half a century without having to ask my car for help, much less having it respond. lol  

When DD showed me the manual I almost fell over.  628 pages is nuts. I managed to go through 2 pregnancies, have and raise 2 healthy kids and didn't have to read 628 pages to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a new Buick Envision 2 weeks ago and the keyless start doesn't bother me but the car shutting off when you stop at stop signs and red lights.....I don't like.

Huibby says I have to get used to it...I think I'll just turn it off. I feel like the car is going to stall.....

Trusted Contributor

My husband keeps asking me when will I buy a new car. I have a 2006 Toyota Camry and love it. Simple dashboard-easy to locate what I need.  I don't want to feel like I'm flying a spaceship with all the beeping noises and flashing lights. I will say that when the time comes to buy a car, I would like a remote starter, heated steering wheel, and a backup camera. Those are my bells and whistles. 

Respected Contributor

AGREE!!!!   I WANT A KEY ...  when my 2007 Forester that I LOVE had to go in and I needed a loaner from my Subaru dealer, they gave me a 2019 Forester.  The first thing I said was... PLEASE TELL ME IT STILL HAS A KEY!!!!!!    Nope.  So disappointed.