Esteemed Contributor

I will state up front, I'm old.  I really prefer older cars without umpteen bells and whistles.

I can finally drive after 2 months and took the new Honda HRV to the Dr. today. I hate that key fob thing.  Prefer a good old key.

In all my other cars if I want to turn the heat up or down I just used one hand it move a lever or turn a knob.  My eyes never left the road. With this vehicle and that stupid touch screen you have to take your eyes off the road look at the screen to touch the right thing.  And they talk about distracted driving. Same with the radio. I could turn it on or off without looking in my older cars.  Nope this requires looking a screen.

DD disengaged the lane departure thing. When she changed lanes it engaged like it wasn't intentional.

The only good things I can say is it rides nice and is easier for me to get into and out of.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Dislike The Newer Cars.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 -

I hear you!

Esp those no key things are scary!

And how Dumb! to read a screen which makes you take your eyes off the road!!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

i'm old, too!  had to buy a new car.....my older car was totalled by someone not paying attention to traffic!  when the young salesman was explaining all the bells and whistles in the car i was going to purchase.....i told him to stop....i was going to cover them up with duct tape when i got home.....he looked at me like i was crazy!  i still miss my car key!!  actually...i still miss my '66 Mustang!!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I will state up front, I'm old.  I really prefer older cars without umpteen bells and whistles.

I can finally drive after 2 months and took the new Honda HRV to the Dr. today. I hate that key fob thing.  Prefer a good old key.

In all my other cars if I want to turn the heat up or down I just used one hand it move a lever or turn a knob.  My eyes never left the road. With this vehicle and that stupid touch screen you have to take your eyes off the road look at the screen to touch the right thing.  And they talk about distracted driving. Same with the radio. I could turn it on or off without looking in my older cars.  Nope this requires looking a screen.

DD disengaged the lane departure thing. When she changed lanes it engaged like it wasn't intentional.

The only good things I can say is it rides nice and is easier for me to get into and out of.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I have to agree.  I purchased a new Honda last July.  The key fob has driven me crazy!    I had to buy a special cover for the fob because it was too sensitive to anything around it.  My windows would drop down half way if anything came close to the fob.   I could also do without half of the technology....I either don't use it or don't need it.  I am having the lane departure thing disengaged as well.  The car is very nice....good looking...great on gas...but I miss my old simple 2012  Mazda.  

Respected Contributor

I saw a commercial the other night for a car with a new feature.

If someone parks too close to the driver's door while your car is parked, you can actually start it up and have it back out of the space so that you can get in with no problem, all using your key fob.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Don't get me started. 

When my private parts are aflame because the car thinks I am cold and the wipers turning on automatically for a drizzle, I had flashbacks of Hal 2001 a Space Odyssey. 

Let me drive, please!  The car has a warranty with an insurance premium that has a much lower deductible that my health care.  If I die or almost kill myself, I'd like to be at fault and in control.  

Respected Contributor

I can control the radio with my thumb on the buttons on the steering wheel in my car. I don’t miss a key at all. Remote start is the best thing ever. But I’m not old.
Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to add the manual covers all models of HRV.  The flippen thing is 628 pages.  I don't care which model you get, if it takes that many pages to explain your car and the features it has too many things on it.

If my seat belt was not hooked in my old car it dinged til it was latched.  This has a disembodied voice telling me. DD and I have given her a name I can't repeat here.

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I can control the radio with my thumb on the buttons on the steering wheel in my car. I don’t miss a key at all. Remote start is the best thing ever. But I’m not old.

Yes, my Toyota RAV 4 has radio controls on the steering wheel, too. I never have to look down because my left hand is used to the position of the controls and it’s so easy.  I’ve had a car with no key for about 14 years now and have never missed having a key.

I’m 70 years old and I like most of the improvements that have come along. Different strokes for different folks. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I'm giving my youngest granddaughter my car. I gave my other grandchildren my old cars and this will be the last "donation." I started looking at new cars and saw presentations that made the cars look like they had airplane controls. I'll buy the same brand I've bought for 40 years, since I live in the snowy hills and know what I need to get me home, but these control panels leave me loony.