Honored Contributor

Pretty crass....doesn't surprise me .... par for the course in today's world....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Just nasty, poor taste.

Respected Contributor

I recall, years ago, having to go for an ultrasound follow-up to my mammogram because of suspicious shadows. I sat in the waiting room, which was full of women. Nearly all of them, IIRC, were accompanied by an anxious-looking male.

Cynic that I am, I contrasted that with an experience I'd had a few days prior in the neurology department of the same hospital. There were women in that room who were awaiting results of MRIs, like me. but not a man in sight.

So as I sat waiting for my ultimately good news ultrasound, it struck me that the men, presumably partners, had an investment in that particular body part, while the prospect of a degenerative neurological condition, which at the time had minimal treatment prospects, didn't seem to merit the same attention.

I'm well aware that breast cancer kills, so comparing it to a disease that just slowly robs you of life isn't really fair. But I've never forgotten the contrast, and this kind of vulgar messaging just highlights the disproportionate focus on this body part. More women die of heart disease than breast cancer, but it's the "ta-tas" that get the attention.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Didn't Care For This

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Pretty crass....doesn't surprise me .... par for the course in today's world....Woman Frustrated

I totally agree! Seems to be the way of today's world! Sad really. Glad to see others agree. Sometimes I feel like such a prude!🤷🏽‍♀️

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

The ad is as profoundly ignorant as it is tasteless.  Like other cancers, breast cancer can be primary (beginning in the breast and metastasizing elsewhere) or secondary (beginning elsewhere and metastasizing to the breast).  Again like other cancers, it is a devastating and potentially life-threatening diagnosis.  Those afflicted with it deserve to be treated as whole persons, with dignity, respect, and support -- not reduced to a body part.  Can you imagine the outcry (justifiable, IMO) if a man were to publicize the prevalence of prostate cancer in the same classless way? This woman may be well-intentioned, but I'd be surprised if she's she's doing the larger cause any favors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Carmie I'm in PA too and I'm glad that's not in my area.  I agree that it's very crude.

I used to see the Boobie car a lot, the lady was driving a different model at that time. 

I noticed that young preteen boys would make jokes when they saw the car.  One boy even offered to "feel" my granddaugher.  

It's more of a joke with the kids...they get silly and act stupid when they see it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I just hope it doesn't become TV ads. I think it's disgusting. There are always more thoughtful ways to raise money for research. 

@Shanus Agreed!  Some seem to think it's perfectly fine with anything goes as long as it "saves a life"!  Who's to say what saves a life?  

Why not mention that those with low levels of vitamin D  are more at risk to get many forms of cancer including breast cancer.  It can certainly help to possibly save a life!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Carmie I'm in PA too and I'm glad that's not in my area.  I agree that it's very crude.

I used to see the Boobie car a lot, the lady was driving a different model at that time. 

I noticed that young preteen boys would make jokes when they saw the car.  One boy even offered to "feel" my granddaugher.  

It's more of a joke with the kids...they get silly and act stupid when they see it.

@Carmie One of the reasons that I think it's crude!  Yes I can certainly imagine that scenerio!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

I saw this slogan when I was diagnosed back in 1990. So sad that here it is 2021 and there is still no cure...

What I find crass is the disease itself. 

Respected Contributor

I'm finding it ironic that those of us who have gone through and dealt with breast cancer find it less offensive than those who have not.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown