Respected Contributor

That's in bad taste.  Also, some men get breast cancer, too.

Esteemed Contributor

They are selling t-shirts with that phrase. Sometimes it makes me wonder where they got the idea. I don't think it is appropriate but they are trying to get more donations. Look at some of the commercials on TV, it makes me SMH.

Esteemed Contributor

What a classless way of delivering an important message. I'd like to know who approved that add!!

Honored Contributor

Re: I Didn't Care For This

[ Edited ]

Oh I can one up that story, sadly.

We have a local non profit here in PA called "Feel your Boobies". The lady in charge drives a car that is all decked out with that slogan and many people have bumper stickers on their cars with the same thing. They also have billboards.

Their message is good, but the name of their non profit is crude.  It seems like they are using the shock value for people to notice them and donate.

They work with another non profit called" Are you doing it."  Both have dot com websites.

B98CC33F-4838-4200-B7B5-49C2D3AD0511.jpegFD58DC9E-B6A6-4217-AC31-47B5D10482B0.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Want a view from a breast cancer survivor?!?

I have to tell you a true story first.  I was "up north" in WI with my family and we were downtown shopping.  We went into a nice clothing store, one side men and one side women.  My DIL showed me a shirt that said "Save the Ta Ta's!" and asked what I thought of it, knowing I had breast cancer.

I couldn't answer her right away.  I did not feel immediately offended.  Crude, yes, but not quite to the point of being offended.  The people, ok mostly guys, were trying, in their distorted way, to join in the fight to save breasts from cancer and had come up with a slogan, in their way to say we're with you.  They like our breasts - ok, they love our breasts, but some go to the extreme and over the line of decency, which I hate.

But years later, I do use that expression once in a while when I think it is appropriate and will bring a little humor to a serious situation.I would never wear the t-shirt however.

I did see a gal wearing a shirt that had a well endowed gal on it and it said "of course they're not real - my real ones tried to kill me!"  I had to laugh at that one!

I think the Feel Your Boobies is distasteful.

I actually never felt a lump, it was only discovered by a mammogram.  After my surgeries, my surgeon told me to "get very well acquainted" with my breasts, so I could tell if there were any changes in the future.  I like what he said better!

The other statement I have to think about.  They should have a cure by now with all the billions upon billions that have been raised for breast cancer over the years.  I will only donate to local, community organizations anymore, from which I received useful help from.

It's a fine line.  You need to keep some humor in the situation, but sometimes only between breast cancer survivors will certain things be funny.

Just my thoughts - everyone take care and be safe and get your mammo every year!!!

Honored Contributor

I really don't think it matters whether anyone 'cares' for it or not. It grabs attention. 

And if you have ever had breast cancer, or known anyone who has, getting attention that drives women to screen, and getting attention for funding/research to cure really is what is at the center of it all. 

I don't really have to like something, if it is effective in getting results, that is more important to me, than my being slightly offended or put off by it.

Respected Contributor

I saw a shirt that said I survived camp nukaboobie

( radiation treatment) . As a survivor having gone through the radiation treatment, I thought it was kind of clever, although I wouldn't wear that shirt myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness    The first thing I want to say  is, "I am thrilled for you that you beat breast cancer."  Three of my dearest friends didn't.  Yes, I agree that after so many years and billions upon billions of dollars spent on research they should have a cure.

Here is the problem, and it is my opinion based on the experience of the dearest of the three.  She had been fighting the disease for many years and had one breast removed and was seeing a chemo research doctor.  My friend was doing very well, she had about 3 marks on her breasts at the last examination and then kept her appointment with her research doctor.  

He had a new chemo, warned her it could kill her and when she thought about questioning her family or friends if she should try it, decided not to because they would tell her it was her decision.  Wrong, I would have told her under no circumstances should she try it.

Well, she went with it, told the doctor she would try it.  That was on a Monday the month of March, the year 2011, Friday of that week she died.  It isn't always the cancer that kills, chemo does too. 

She had two sons, three grandchildren with the oldest son who knew Grandma very well.  The twins, two boys, who were born two weeks before she passed, and she got to meet and hold them the week prior to her passing.  She was 64 years old and I miss her every single day.

HerRoyalLioness, you  are a very lucky lady and I will continue to pray for you and all the women out there who have beat breast cancer and the ones who are fighting it now will beat this disease and live very long lives.  God Bless each and every one of you.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

To me that seemed crass.  Maybe it was a bad example of their humor.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Oh I can one up that story, sadly.

We have a local non profit here in PA called "Feel your Boobies". The lady in charge drives a car that is all decked out with that slogan and many people have bumper stickers on their cars with the same thing. They also have billboards.

Their message is good, but the name of their non profit is crude.  It seems like they are using the shock value for people to notice them and donate.

They work with another non profit called" Are you doing it."  Both have dot com websites.

B98CC33F-4838-4200-B7B5-49C2D3AD0511.jpegFD58DC9E-B6A6-4217-AC31-47B5D10482B0.jpeg

@Carmie  I would hate to live in a city to see that billboard and that car.