Honored Contributor

Re: I Confess...I keep a landline phone

LOL, "confessing" about having a landline phone, I must be living in the dark ages, what is there to confess???  

I am not a cell phone fanatic, I only use it to make calls, aka "emergencies"!!!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I've had this Panasonic landline phone for several years now. When the batteries died on the 2 extensions, I threw the extensions out. But, I kept the main phone and base that has voicemail. Those batteries have been slowly dying for over a year. I finally went to Target to buy batteries 2 weeks ago. The clerk said they didn't carry them any more and that it would be cheaper to buy a new phone. I said I'd buy a new phone if it had the same type of batteries as my current old phone. It didn't. I told her I didn't care how much the batteries cost, I'd go online to see if I could find them. She said, "You don't want a new phone?" I answered no and left. I rarely turn that phone on, and I never have the voicemail on. I've always deleted unimportat messages so I had space to keep other messages. My mother's voice is on that phone's voicemail saying, "I just called to hear your voice, honey." She passed away last summerr. My SO's voice is on it saying, "It's cold here.[He still lived back East.] Maybe it's because you're not here." He died suddenly of a stroke on Thanksgiving. I even kept a message about 5 years old when my child was a senior in high school saying, "Mom, you can pick me up now. I'll be in front of the building." My brother is on there singing a silly version of Happy Birthday to me. Well, I went home and found the batteries online at WalMart. I confess that I bought 6 sets.

You brought tears to my eyes~!  

Consider keeping your spare batteries in the fridge.  I've been poo poo'd about doing this but the scientists I used to work for used to do this. They said it helped the longevity.  I've always done it and never had a problem...  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily You can usually find odd batteries on ebay also. That a very good reason to keep your phone, to hear her voice once more. ((hugs)).

I can't give my landline up either. I do not like making any business type calls on my cell phone. For that matter, I don't like talking on the cell much at all. It cuts off in the middle of a conversation too much. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We helped our neighbors pack up a house into two moving vans a year ago.  Husband had an answering machine he had bought at a yard sale for a couple bucks (ticket still on it). He intended to play the pile of machine tapes he has saved forever.  We knew them for 20 years before they moved, he never did listen to them.  Sort of a hoarding situation.  I still love the remark my friend made to her son when he protested about the amount of "junk" they were hanging onto.  "That isn't junk, those are cherished antiques." 

Respected Contributor

I have a landline.  I like it because you can have reasonable conversations on it compared to a cell phone.  And with both parties on a cell phone, it's almost not doable.

The sound quality is much better, no feedback or not knowing when the other party is done speaking.  Maybe some day I'll give it up due to cost, but there's no comparison in quality.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I've had this Panasonic landline phone for several years now. When the batteries died on the 2 extensions, I threw the extensions out. But, I kept the main phone and base that has voicemail. Those batteries have been slowly dying for over a year. I finally went to Target to buy batteries 2 weeks ago. The clerk said they didn't carry them any more and that it would be cheaper to buy a new phone. I said I'd buy a new phone if it had the same type of batteries as my current old phone. It didn't. I told her I didn't care how much the batteries cost, I'd go online to see if I could find them. She said, "You don't want a new phone?" I answered no and left. I rarely turn that phone on, and I never have the voicemail on. I've always deleted unimportat messages so I had space to keep other messages. My mother's voice is on that phone's voicemail saying, "I just called to hear your voice, honey." She passed away last summerr. My SO's voice is on it saying, "It's cold here.[He still lived back East.] Maybe it's because you're not here." He died suddenly of a stroke on Thanksgiving. I even kept a message about 5 years old when my child was a senior in high school saying, "Mom, you can pick me up now. I'll be in front of the building." My brother is on there singing a silly version of Happy Birthday to me. Well, I went home and found the batteries online at WalMart. I confess that I bought 6 sets.

@Desert Lily  What a beautiful post!  It brought tears to my eyes because I could relate to your mother's message.  My mom would call up and say the same thing to me - what a gift my mother was.  We were blessed.  They are gone, but the memories are beautiful and more than what many have.  I also have a preserved message of my daughter wishing me a Happy Birthday that was probably 10 years ago.  So sweet! 

BTW I have a landline at both of my homes.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

I enjoy using my landline phone.  It has a speaker function and I can switch from ringer to flashing light.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@akaburtonfan wrote:

I understand the need to keep the phone because of the messages on it. 

When my son was little, my dad (who's no longer alive) called and left a message for him on our answering machine. I later recorded it on a cassette tape and my husband then transferred it to mp3 format and it's now in my itunes along with my recordings of my son as he was learning to talk. I just wish my mom had also left a message. 

My current answering machine has messages from my son, brothers, husband and sister-in-law. I have recorded them with my cell phone and have them saved on my computer. 

One of my brothers has ALS and is no longer able to speak so I'm grateful to have his messages saved. 

@akaburtonfan I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I lost my mother to ALS. It is a hideous disease and as far as I can tell they don't know anymore about it now then they did 25 years ago when my mother passed. You and your family will be in my prayers. Smiley Sad I apologize for going O/T but I haven't talked to Burt in a long time and didn't know about her brother.
Respected Contributor

We still have a landline that my husband will never let go of. He has a flip phone that he keeps in his car for emergencies. I think he has only had to charge it once in the three years he has had it. Smiley Happy I love my iphone and ipad. Texting is my main source of conversation with my kids and grands. We like it that way.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a smart phone, but I also have a landline....I keep a landline because I have relatives and friends that have health issues that I need a reliable line available for.. If I forget to charge my smartphone they would not be able to reach me if they needed my assistance, example pick up a prescription for them or perhaps take them to Urgent Care in the event of a non-urgent issue but they werent feeling well and doctors office was closed (otherwise I told them to call 911 and get an ambulance for real emergencies).  Or if I had an emergency and battery needed re-charging I want to be able to call 911.  Also, in the event the power goes out and the battery in the cell phone is used up, and I can't use your charger becaue that's out too, even if your laptop battery gets used up---if its a real bad storm it can take even a couple days before power is restored (like when we had 6 e-1 and e-2 tornadoes and the wind bent an electric transmittor)... I can still get hold of the utility company or call someone in the event of an emergency, fire etc because in addition to a cordless phone and I have an old style phone tucked away for emergencies and this phone still works even if power is out....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”