Esteemed Contributor

: I Confess...I keep a landline phone

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

I dont blame you. I wish I had my dads voice on my phone yet. I also keep a land line too and always will as long as they have them. BUT Im thinking of going back to the phone company line instead of the cable line we have for the phone, because just today our phones were out again for the 3rd time in a year (and our cable tv was fine and so was out internet, it was just the phones). When we had the phone company service our phones were never out!

Go,online to your former phone company and see.

Where I live you cannot go back to a landline.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Confess...I keep a landline phone

@Lilpuddin wrote:

That's such a sweet story!  I have a saved voicemail from my little brother, who passed away 3 years ago.  You can actually log on to your landline service provider's website and access your voicemails there too. I was able to save my brother's voicemail message as an MP3 file when I moved out of state and had to get new phone service.

I save a voice mail from each of my children until the next one.  In case something should happen to that child, I have the voice recorded.  At present I have the ones from Mother's Day as I was at church.  When they call again and leave a message, I will delete the old and keep the new.

I have saved emails from 11 friends and/or relatives who are now deceased over the past 15 years.

Contributor

Sorry for the long delay, I just saw your message.  I was able to save the message because I had at&t voicemail and was able to go online and listen to my home messages remotely. (I think it was called "uconnect".). So I logged on to my at&t acct on my computer, and went to the page where I could listen to the messages.  On the message file, I right-clicked on the mouse, and selected "save message."  Then I was able to directly save the message as an MP3 on my hard drive.

Since you don't have voicemail, I was thinking about how you could get the message off your digital answering machine.  Here are a couple of options that might work:

1. You could play the message on speaker and record it on another device, like your smartphone, and then you would have an MP3 file of the message on your phone.  You could save it on your phone, send it to yourself as an email attachment (thereby allowing you to save it on your computer), or back it up into the cloud.

2. Does your answering machine have a USB port? You may be able to save the message directly to an external USB thumb drive.

3. Call the answering machine manufacturer's customer service line and see if they can help save the file.  They may know a simple method that I haven't thought of.

4. You could play the message on speaker phone and save it to one of those mini cassette voice recorders.

OK, now as far as the picture file on the old computer with only a floppy disc port.  Are you able to plug it into a modem using an Ethernet cable? Check the back of the hard drive to see if there is a port for this cable.  If there is, you can plug it directly into your internet modem, go online, and email yourself a note with the photo attached.  Then you could log on to your email from any of your other devices and save the photo.

If your old computer does not have an Ethernet port, then you can take it to a local computer repair person and they would be able to access the photo files and create a backup for you an an external USB thumb drive.  In my area, we have a wonderful computer repair tech who will even make house calls!  It may cost you $50-$100 for them to backup all your files on an external drive, but it would be worth it for peace of mind to preserve your memories.

The other thing I would recommend after you get your voice file and old picture files, is to get an automatic backup service like Carbonite that automatically backs up your data in case anything should ever happen to your hard drive.  

I hope this helps.  I know how important it is to save the last messages from loved ones. I have the last three messages my little brother sent me before he passed, and I treasure them.

Feel free to direct message me with any questions, and I'm happy to help.

Contributor

Hi D_2!

Sorry but I just saw your question, and I posted several suggestions at the end of the thread.  Feel free to direct message me with questions, I'm happy to help!

Honored Contributor

can't remember if i answered this question.

I have a land line and won't get rid of it. cell is very sketchy here too. usually from 8-3pm you can call anywhere anytime, but beginning at 3pm to 7-8pm cell service is so bad you can't call anyone and 911 forget it. during school year, you might as well send smoke signals because you can't call anyone after 3pm till about 8pm.

Regular Contributor

We only keep our landline because of DH. He doesn't like to talk to his folks on his cell. If it were up to me I would have gotten rid of it years ago. 

Respected Contributor

We haven't had once since 2006 and never missed it nor had a reason to have one.  But different strokes for different folks.

Honored Contributor

I keep a recording from my husband. About 4years ago, we got a new land line phone (installing FIOS) and I purchased a new phone.  He called me up simply saying Hello, (my name) don't have much time, but I love you.  Ever since that, I've kept the recording. 

So in a way, I could never give up that phone!  I do have a cell phone (not a smart phone.....too expensive to add one)

Occasional Contributor

there is nothing wrong with keeping a land line, I have it just incase the cell phone dies. I have it for my ailing parent to have the phone they can read with large numbers. no elderly should be able to try to read cell phones. There is nothing anyone can convince me i am old fashioned so be it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Naki-Poo  @viva923

There is nothing wrong about keeping a landline

1.  As you stated VIVA923 if your cell phone coverage is sketchy you need a landline for reliable service.  And sometime the reception and clarity is better from a landline too....my sister has the latest and greatest smartphone yet  its diffiuclt to communicate because of the poor reception with her fancy new phone and she even changed her carrier to a supposedly better one with better coverage but the same issues exists!! 

2.  What happens if you forget to charge your phone, or what if you power goes out and you can't re-charge your phone, with an old fashioned phone and landline you can still make calls, which could be important in the event of a bad storm, fire, and an emergency has also taken place

3. EMS has said they can locate an address quicker from a call made from a landline versus a cell phone.........

4. Some say that you get less telemarketing calls on a smartphone than a landline, but that doesnt appear to be true anymore, true their are apps to block these calls but some carry a fee, while some landlines can use blocers or nomorerobo just as well....

Now I have both a landline and smartphone......I prefer to keep a landline to make sure Im available for a relative and a friend who both have health issues to be able reach me 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”