Honored Contributor

Re: I Confess...I keep a landline phone

I'm keeping a landline. Emergency personnel can find you faster if somebody is hurt,dying, home invasion, people at front door that look suspicious. etc.

Cell phones cut out, you can't understand half what they're saying. sometimes they just disconnect right in middle of hearing vital information.

My landline is secure, clear can't be hacked. LOL I got HSN call blocker box if somebody calls I don't want to hear from I push the big red 'Delete' button and they can't call back. I just use cellphone for vacation, calling in a pizza from the road, lightning strikes and land line isn't working, etc.

It's turned off all the time and is just there for my convenience not strangers.

100 a yr. from Tracfone. Buy the one yr. card and minutes roll over I've got around 4500 now. LOL

bird&berry.png

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily ... What a sweet story. I would have kept those messages too. Yes, we do keep a landline. My mother is 92 years old and can't handle a cell phone. Heck...I'm 67 and barely know how to answer/make a call on mine.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I will never throw out my old Nokia (2g) cell phone from another decade.  It still as the last few texts my Mom sent to me in its memory before she passed.  Just cannot let that go.

I did get rid of my landline a long time ago.  Paying for telemarketer messages on my machine every month was just not worth it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I can't put a cell phone in the crook of my neck like I can a landline. Say you are talking to someone and figuring something on the computer or shifting through papers, I need both hands free.  Hard to do this when balancing a cell phone in the crook of your neck.

Even with the best cell phones, the clarity is not the same as with a landline.  You can tell when someone is calling you from a cell.  There is that small delay when communicating.

Esteemed Contributor

I know I will always have a landline.  I think the calls are clearer and never drop.

Also, in an emergency, 911 can see your address in case you cannot talk.

Honored Contributor

I love that!!!!!!! It brought tears to my eyes. We have a landline as well, and I kept a voicemail of our 1st grandchild calling us when he first learned to talk, sauing hi to us and it is so cute, and now he is 10 and I played it for him a couple of weeks ago, and we all had a good laugh, but I will never erase that........

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand the need to keep the phone because of the messages on it. 

When my son was little, my dad (who's no longer alive) called and left a message for him on our answering machine. I later recorded it on a cassette tape and my husband then transferred it to mp3 format and it's now in my itunes along with my recordings of my son as he was learning to talk. I just wish my mom had also left a message. 

My current answering machine has messages from my son, brothers, husband and sister-in-law. I have recorded them with my cell phone and have them saved on my computer. 

One of my brothers has ALS and is no longer able to speak so I'm grateful to have his messages saved. 

Honored Contributor

I have a land line phone, I dislike cell phones. My hearing is not the best any longer, I can hear better on my old trusty dusty land line phone.

I do have a cell it is for emergency calls only

Honored Contributor

I also still have a landline.  I have an old flip style cell phone that I do not use for calls.  I use it for texting because that is how my kids and grandkids communicate.  Otherwise, I use my landline for incoming (I don't even give my cell phone number to anyone except family) and all outgoing calls.  I really dislike the new  iPhones, tablets, etc. 

Guess it's my age.  I'd be lost without my computer.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I switched from a landline to a VoIP phone last year. Best thing I ever did. Never owned a cell phone or plan on getting one either. VoIP phone service is free.  

@SilleeMee, how are you getting VoIP service free? I'm planning to buy an Ooma Telos this summer and have my number ported. Ooma service was free, but now they charge all kinds of taxes. It'll still be a lot cheaper than the internet phone provided by the cable service, which is around $35 a month.