Honored Contributor

Re: I Confess...I keep a landline phone

It's here when we need it.

Honored Contributor

We would give up our landline phone in a nanosecond but we need it so we can let people in the gates if they come to visit us or work at our house. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll join the club.  We have a landline.  An old Ma Bell wall phone in the kitchen, a Princess phone in the den, a (quite remarkable at the time) CORDLESS in my office.  Another cheapie phone in Dh's office, and actually a "jack" that is going unused, in the bedroom.

I have no plans to de-activate it.  I fear I would never get it back, and I may need it.  I need it now.

Lines to the house are underground, but my area still has poles and wires, and people, yes, still do have overhead phone lines.  There's a pole in our yard.  Much less turmoil when something needs to be fixed (no digging!), and the cell phones are just not as reliable.

Yes, I do have a cell phone also.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I had my great aunts voice still on my answering machine and I was always careful not to erase her last message to me when I cleared out the others, but one of the guys in my house managed (after never deleting messages) to erase it one day.

Needles to say, I'm not happy about it. My only saving grace is I do have a lot of movies with her and her voice to still remember.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily....Those personal messages are such treasures!....I also have a couple of messages saved....one from my Mom singing Happy Birthday to me and another one from my brother with a very special message before he passed away much too soon...I also recorded them on tape with my cassette player at the time.

I much prefer talking on the landline when I am home.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I switched from a landline to a VoIP phone last year. Best thing I ever did. Never owned a cell phone or plan on getting one either. VoIP phone service is free.  

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily  Yes, I still have mine!  But I use it mostly so I can give that phone number out instead of my cell phone number.  That way I'm not being bothered marketing calls all day long on my cell.  My landline has Nomorobo on it, so the telemarketers are cut off after one ring.

BTW, any time I've ever need a replacement battery.......I mean for anything.....phone, laptop, you-name-it,  I just go online to Amazon and type the ID number printed right on the battery into the search box.  It brings up many options and prices from different vendors.  There's no better or quicker way to get anything than from Amazon IMO!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I still have a landline, but only because it was cheaper to bundle it with my internet service than just getting the internet service. The ringer is off, and all it does is collect voicemail messages. That does give me the freedom to only give my cell number to people I actually want to talk to. Everyone else can leave a message. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

No big deal... confess? I have a landline phone ... Woman Indifferent

Valued Contributor

I won't give up my landline phone. I NEVER give out my cell phone number.  All the intrusive robo calls go to my landline answering machine.