Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry for your heartbreak and pain, I shed many many heart wrenching tears for my mother's suffering . You sound like a wonderful daughter, your mother is blessed to have you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

My mother is 91, she'll be 92 in about ten days. She fell back in October (not on my watch) and broke some bones in her hip. She spent a short time in the hospital, then was in rehab for 10 weeks. The care there was not good. She was beinging discharged, my sister and I felt she wasn't well enough to go home, we appealed and were denied. She came home, last Thursday, saw a visiting nurse on Friday (to open the case), and saw a PT and OT therapist once each. I was taking care of her (I was in over my head), I didn't get a home health aide until yesterday, 6 days after she was released). Well yesterday the visiting nurse didn't like how her lungs sounded, I called an ambulance and we went to the ER. She was admitted, she's not doing well. I have taken care of my mother for so long, I tried my best when she came home, it was too much for me. I don't know what I'll do when she's gone, I devoted my life to her. My sister and I are now looking into nursing homes for my mother. My mother is the nicest sweetest person, I don't want her to suffer, yet I will be devastated when she's gone. My life is going to be so different, thank you to anyone who took the time to read this.

My mother died exactly 38 yrs ago from ovarian cancer - and we were like twins. We only had each other for many years - as my mother divorced my mean father. She was also the most amazing human being -- kind, loving, supportive and always smiling. She died at 65 yrs old - and I'm still crying!!!!!

All I could say is that ur mom was lucky to have such a great daughter --- and 92 yrs is old. So - you've had her for a long time. I'm sure u have many  great memories and that will heal a lot of ur pain. 

Honored Contributor

You have been a loving and dutiful daughter.  Be kind to yourself during this challenging time...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Can't Stop Crying

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 My mother was 92 and fell December 2, 2018 and hit the back of her head. She had a severe gash. I was her caregiver for so long. I have a masters degree in nursing, and I have  been a home health nurse/executive for 39 years. My mother was so sick that I could not do all of her care myself. I was exhausted, that is a natural and expected feeling. While in the hospital from the fall, she developed urosepsis, then on January 11, 2019 she had a heart attack. We bounced back from the hospital to the skilled nursing facility from December 2, 2018 until Mach 15, 2019. I found the most wonderful private assisted living facility for her where she was well cared for. My brother and I would switch off going everyday to see her. From March until the end of June 2019 she did pretty good. Then the dragon came back, she started to have heart problems. She died at the assisted living under hospice care on August 11, 2019 and she was 93. 

You will never regret what you did for your mother, I would look for assisted living over a nursing home. If you live near St. Augustine, Fl I can point you to the 1 my mother was in. We had some very good times and laughs with my mother up until 3 days before she died. We cherish those memories.

Everyone was afraid that I would be lost after mom died but I have found freedom in the time that I have. When she was so ill, I could not definitively plan anything. It was difficult to plan to even get a hair cut. I never knew when the next emergency would happen. 

I miss my mom terribly. Her birthday is January 19th, so that milestone is in a few days. I will watch her videos and cry I am sure. I still cry everyday and that is normal. She will always be my mother. I talk to her in spirit. I feel her around me. My mother never wanted me to be sad. 

I feel sorry for you because I know what you are going through. Just do your best and you will never regret it. Our moms have had long lives. 

In the end I did her eulogy at her funeral and I said "she was free of that body that frustrated her so." My mother was an active person and hated that after the fall she was basically confined to a wheelchair. 

I think you need to try and give yourself some free time and a break, When my mother was in the nursing home skilled nursing facility, we had a aide sit with her at night to keep her from trying to get up and falling. It was expensive but thankfully, we had the money to do it.

I forgot to say that the months that we had from January 11th until August 11 my mother prepared us well for her death. She told me every single day how beautiful I was, and that I was the most wonderful daughter in the world because I did everything for her for years. She used to tell me that I was going straight to Heaven. We laughed but then I would look a her and say "you are telling me this so I will remember when you are gone" and she would say "that right, I want you to be happy, you deserve it above anyone else". Those times and conversations with her at the end are priceless. I had a nice talk with her the last day she was able to talk. We were alone and I told her what a great mom she was, and how much I loved her. She told me the same, we hugged. I was practically in the bed with her. You will never forget these moments. 

Remember you have done a great job with your mother. Better than any daughter could do. Being the caregiver is so stressful and hard. In fact, the day I put her in hospice, I developed shingles on my face. The stress was unbearable. 

Hugs and prayers to you. Message me if you want. I know alot about how health care systems work. You can use my professional experience if you need it. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 I'm so sorry for what you and your sister are going through.  As others have mentioned, hospice care is an amazing resource during this time.  I was the primary caregiver for my in-laws for several years.  In October, we put both of them in assisted living with hospice care.  Even though they were receiving excellent care, my MIL passed away a few weeks later from her dementia.    

You and your sister have given your all in taking care of her.  Other than hospice, my only suggestion is, if she hasn't made final arrangements, to think about that now.  My in-laws did not do that and when the hospice nurse informed us of my MIL's prognosis, I really had to push my husband and his siblings to do that.  We finalized the arrangements about a week before she passed and that made the funeral much less stressful for everyone.  

Please take care of yourself.  It sounds like your mom is being taken care of right now and you are dealing with worries about what you could have done and how your life will be without her.  You should just take it one day at a time and enjoy the time that you have left with her.  Prayers and hugs for you and your family!

Super Contributor

@Jordan2  Your post is heartbreaking and I feel for you. So many of us have similar experiences and understand completely. I am still affected greatly by my mom's situation with assisted living, several falls, a broken hip, several hospital stays, and her death just over 3 years ago. The suggestions to get Hospice involved is a good one. We did, but almost too late. I wished we had done it sooner. The Hospice aid that visited the day before my mom died was so wonderful and soothing. She took such good care of my mom as she was dying and the rest of us were all kind of numb and in shock. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your days now and later will be difficult, but your memories of the happy times will eventually help. Take care friend!

Honored Contributor

Years ago, my 97 year old grandmother fell at home and broke her hip.   The saddest fact I had to accept was the mortality rate for the elderly after broken hips.  

That information was presented to mom and I at the rehab facility when we learned my grandmother had failed her assessment and going home was not an option unless she had 24/7 care.   A newly opened personal care home became her new home in late summer; by March she was diagnosed with CHF, and 6 weeks later she was gone.   

I do know where you are mentally and physically right now.   I also know that when you have given your very best to a loved one and there is no fix, you wrap your mind around what’s coming, pray for a peaceful end, and the strength to let them go.   Afterwards, you do what has to be done, and you keep moving forward.

From what details you've shared, my expectations are for someone at the hospital to speak to you about Hospice care.   I send prayers of strength to you and your sister.   

Frequent Contributor

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear that your mother is not doing well.THere are 3 girls in our family with me being the oldest.My father passed away 12 years ago from cancer BUT before he passed he asked all 3 girls to take care of mamma to the best ability.  We started off taking turns at her home plus working our regular jobs.  That got too much. Our mother falling , not taking medication properly and her state of mind declining to the point she did not me anymore.  Us girls had to make some decisions that hurt us emotionly BUT we knew we had taken care of our mom to best of ability.  Remember if you can look in mirror and say I did all I can do then you are OKAY.  Please don't blame yourself.  Your mom knows all good you have done for her.  God Bless & Prayers

Respected Contributor

@Catiele  Your dad sounds like mine. Both of my parents said they have had a good life and not to be sad. My mom said the only thing she didn't like about her death was how hard it was going to be on me and my brother. Her saying that tells me she knew how deeply she was loved by us. Ten years later I think of her each day and miss her more than I can say. 

Respected Contributor

Re: I Can't Stop Crying

[ Edited ]

@conlt what a beautiful and moving post, you had me in tears. I can totally relate to everything you said.