Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  I work in a nursing home and strongly suggest you get hospice involved. They will provide the extra attention for your mom that the nursing home can not. People are under the impression that hospice is for the end days and it is not. They will be there for your mom and your needs as well. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry this is happening. You've done your best. My only advice is not to take dramatic steps to prolong her life. We had doctors offer a feeding tube for my FIL when he was too weak to endure the procedure. We should have let him go peacefully as he always wanted. Many times the medical community know the odds aren't good, but they offer a bit of hope (which I understand) and pad their pockets for things best left undone.

Valued Contributor

Prayers for you and your family.  

Respected Contributor

Oh Jordan I have been where you are today. Both my parents totally depended on my brother and I. My Dad was the first to have declining health. We were there for him. He was in and out of hospitals. The last call we got they had transferred him to yet another hospital. He was bad and we knew it. He took my hands and said please don't cry when I die I have had a good life. Through my tears I promised that I wouldn't and I kept my promise. I was blessed to have had him and he was the best father. He was 95 when he died. Cry when you need to and do the best you can. Prayers for you and your Mother.

PS          My Mother is another long story. She was 99 when she died.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  

I tried my best when she came home, it was too much for me.

Please stop, and take a moment for yourself and come to understand you did do the very best you could and could do no more, no one could have under such circumstance.

Your pain is deep and you are hurting so much. Crying is good. It helps to get all those emotions out and not hold them inside.

When we love someone so much and the sad events of life enter our lives it is painful to watch and not be able to do something, anything, that would change matters. Jordon you can not control it.

Your sister and you will find the nursing home and then go on from there. You need to let go of taking care of your mom. It has been your life and now you need to find your way to walk down a new path. It will be a major change for you, and will take time, you have the strength within yourself to do so because you know your mom would want you to. Be gentle to yourself.

Prayers for you and your beloved mother, and sister.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry, @Jordan2 . I will hope for the best outcome for you both.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

So sad,I have you, and your dear mother in my prayers.

Take care of yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Jordan, You have received so much good advice here.  Just remember that your mother knows you love her and you are trying the best you can.  Hospice is an option to be explored, for sure.  My mom had to have skilled nursing care so I know the experience.  It is a tough time.  I am sending prayers for her and for you.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way...sometimes being a "caregiver" is a bigger job than anyone knows.

I clearly remember my dad had a stroke (55 years old at work)-- they said "he would recover".  My sister was newly married and had a baby so I took the responsibility of caring for him.  He wanted to continue to live on his own -- that worked for about 6 months.

(long story)

I then moved in with him as I had a small home and 2 stories.  Within 4 months he had many other medical issues kidney failure, another small stroke and lost his eye sight to diabetes-- I cried and cried knowing he was failing quickly.  

My best friend, dad & more died at the young age of 57...so I know the feelings you're having...wish I could have done more!

good thoughts coming your way!

homedecor1

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2- It is hard when we see the people who took care of us starting to fail.  Peace to you, your mother and family.