Super Contributor

Re: I Can't Believe What My HOA Just Did

We have a home in our neighborhood that has never been repaired from Hurrican Florence-2 years.

The owner owned it outright, absconded w/insurance $$ and now cant be found.

The place looks like a burned out crack house and will have to be condemnded.

HOA has had it's hand tied over this eyesore and we get 'letters' about power washing. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Sounds like someone is bored with staying home and had nothing better to do and came up with that email.....SMH! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

In our HOA, usually warnings are issued maybe 3 times before there is any fine given.

Last year one of our palms died - we knew it had to be taken down and made arrangements to do so - but several birds made nests in the tree. We certainly weren't about to take the tree down until the nests were gone. 

Sure enough, got a letter about taking the tree down. I sent them a letter explaining the situation and we would gladly take the tree down when the birds left. No problem and it was quite a bit later when the tree came down.

Trusted Contributor

I live in a complex with house rules.  My guess is your HOA rules are spelled out in your prospectus and people are ignoring them.  People know what the house rules are when they move into a complex, so nothing should be a surprise.  Perhaps your board has voted in some new rules.  Timing seems wrong, but I guess your HOA is trying to run business as usual.  I would think anyone who has a hardship can appeal to managment/HOA.  

Respected Contributor

I moved to an HOA specifically FOR the rules.  I now live in an HOA community where we have the option of doing our own lawn care/landscaping OR paying extra fee to the HOA for their landscapers to do that for you.  Mostly everyone here uses HOA services. 

Right now my front yard is very high but it's bc it has rained on the days landscapers are scheduled to come here.  In the past, when this has happened they've hired extra landscapers to help when they get stacked up and I suspect they will have to do that soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Say what you will regarding HOAs, it sounds "tone deaf", this letter does.

Maybe with a preface of some empathy to the current situation, with a helping of especially because of what is happening, it could lift the collective spirits to stay on the positive side of exterior maintenance.  And some suggestion of leniency/maybe a board for requesting help and a place for willing neighbors to offer.  That I could probably stomach.

If I lived in a community with an HOA, that is.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@ScrapHappy   My HOA goes around and looks at every house.inthe spring.......checks off a list of how things need to be.  You are given time to fix and then they do a second check.  Yes, if you ignore the suggested fixes, you will be fined.  It has always been like that. 

I like it as I keep my home and yard nice, and do not want my neighbors to let their home get  run down and bring my property values down.  

not for everyone, but I appreciate it.

The thought of someone looking at my house, checking off a list, telling me what I need to do and when I need to do it does not appeal to me at all.

I've never lived in an HOA.  Any issue  - anywhere I've ever lived - has always easily and quickly been taken care of by calling the town.  Choosing a non-HOA neighborhood doesn't mean putting up with unkempt yards or anything else.  Most people who live in regular neighborhoods take a lot of pride in their homes too.  And from what I've observed, a lot of HOA's let obvious problems linger.  

It's a personal choice, obviously, but I would definitely steer clear of an HOA.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm not sure if I would want my neighborhood to suddenly 

have unkept grounds.  That's something a homeowner 

agrees to when purchasing a home.  

Many people have lawnmowers...why would it be an issue now?

Maybe the homeowner is ill?

Or working in a hospital covering extra shifts for co-workers who are now ill?

Or doing double-duty at whatever their jobs are?

Or caring for elderly parents or family members a distance away?

Or juggling work and taking care of school-age children and just being exhausted?

Times are not normal now.  Rules for things like this need to be relaxed.  People are struggling in all sorts of ways.  It's heartless to add to anyone's stress at a time like this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Be very careful an Hoa can put your house in foreclosure!!  it doesn't matter if your property taxes are current or your payments.   An HOA is that powerful.  Their attorneys will give you a letter 2 weeks prior letting you know when your home will be auctioned off at the courthouse steps.  

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@ScrapHappy I live in a non-HOA neighborhood where most of us have weekly or bi-weekly gardeners.  During the Stay at Home period which is now in effect until early May for us, they are considered non-essential workers and will get fined if they do our yard maintenance.  Most of us are still paying them but just telling them to skip the maintenance.

That’s interesting. All of the grass cutters and gardeners around here are working as usual.  I guess the thinking is that they are working outside and not interacting with anyone. My grass was cut today, and I left his check under the door mat. 

They may be non-essential workers but I don't see what the problem is if they are working outdoors and are far apart from other people. 

Why would they be fined?  

Yes we're supposed to stay indoors but I live in a (HOA) community where the houses are on 1/2 acre lots in a quiet neighborhood.  We're still allowed  to go out for a walk as long as we keep 6' apart.