Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Can't Believe What My HOA Just Did

Also, where do all those homeowner fees go????? Disappearing Act.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I'm going to be moving into a community with an HOA, but all of the outside maintenance is provided.  

unless it's included, I gave to agree that they should be giving some leeway these days 

The outside maintenance is included in ur homeowner assoc. fee. Cheaper to call a gardener. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do they have meetings ?  If they do I'd start going to them !!  Or better yet maybe you should join it.   Easy to see they have nothing better  to do in their lives.  This is why I would never live in a HMO development.  My daughter did at one time and it's always something with them.  You have my sympathy !

Esteemed Contributor

Would think something like that would go out each year about this time as a reminder.  Would hope if someone would call and talk to the board they would work with them.  Some are trying to have some normalcy in their lives.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Some people don't know how to handle authority.  

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy   My HOA goes around and looks at every house.inthe spring.......checks off a list of how things need to be.  You are given time to fix and then they do a second check.  Yes, if you ignore the suggested fixes, you will be fined.  It has always been like that. 

I like it as I keep my home and yard nice, and do not want my neighbors to let their home get  run down and bring my property values down.  

not for everyone, but I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy  Check your documents. HOA"s have to observe 'due process' when imposing charges and there are limits as to the charges or fines they can impose for any single occurrence of a rules violation. They might be within their rights, but it sounds more like your board doesn't know the limits of their own authority and took action without ensuring they could do so. That said, all it takes is one dump to make an entire neighborhood look bad, so it could be their aim is true even if their methods could stand some improvement.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Also, where do all those homeowner fees go????? Disappearing Act.

@kivah   My HOA gives a detailed list of all expenses and all money coming in and going out.  Nothing is hidden.

Esteemed Contributor

My HOA handles all lawn & outdoor maintenance.We too get an accounting of every penny spent.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@ScrapHappy   My HOA goes around and looks at every house.inthe spring.......checks off a list of how things need to be.  You are given time to fix and then they do a second check.  Yes, if you ignore the suggested fixes, you will be fined.  It has always been like that. 

I like it as I keep my home and yard nice, and do not want my neighbors to let their home get  run down and bring my property values down.  

not for everyone, but I appreciate it.

Yep.  I went from living in an HOA, where everyone kept up their homes, to living in a non HOA neighborhood where I had slobs on either side of me. 

going back to the HOA life.    It works for me.  But I think the OP is describing something that seems kind of extreme