Honored Contributor

Re: I Bought my Pansies Today

@Sooner   How nice your pansies have lasted so long!  Here, in PA, they should be good for another month or two.

The recipe I've used successfully for several years uses milk (or yogurt), eggs, garlic cloves, and cayenne pepper.  If you make a gallon, remember to vent the jug from time-to-time (once a week) because gas builds up within.  (And do it outside, not inside, because it stinks!).  I think the link is okay to post, but if not, I'll copy and paste the recipe..

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/homemade-deer-repellent/ 

(The recipe is a "deer repellent" but, as it notes, works on other critters, like rabbits.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful!! Those were my paternal Grandfather's favorite flowers!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss : I plan to buy my pansies later this week . No time to plant them last week

Picked up my 2 planters at Costco last week. They are the best, even at this year's increased price- from $29.99 to $32.99 (10%)

Honored Contributor

We plant pansies here in the winter.  Somehow they survive the freezing weather.  When it gets hot in May, they quickly shrivel up and die along with other flowers like petunias and lobelia which prefer cooler weather.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

The deer ate my pansies down to the dirt.  I watched them do it.    We plant pansies in the winter time in the south.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We plant pansies here in the winter.  Somehow they survive the freezing weather.  When it gets hot in May, they quickly shrivel up and die along with other flowers like petunias and lobelia which prefer cooler weather.

@Kachina624 

I was thinking about this as I read @wismiss 's post.  Here on the Gulf Coast we plant pansies in the winter just as you do.  Then we have to pull them up in the Spring and plant annuals that can take the summer heat.  Reminded me of the vastly different climates across our country.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Love pansies.  Some of mine last all year.  And by spring they have reseeded and spread.  Those are the groupings that are a bit more sheltered.  I love them.  I have a few varieties. I love the ones that are a true pastel blue, they have 2 word name.  I forgot first word but second is sherbet.  Also, I mix them with my all time favorites, violas

Honored Contributor

@wismiss    Pansies are truly beautiful.   Do you keep your Pansies all summer long?

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

I love love pansies for fall and spring. I planted mine in March. They have been snowed on at least a few times and are so resilient.