Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Fyi.................Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (SFGH) is a safety net hospital in San Francisco, California, and the only Level I Trauma Center for the 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County. The hospital serves poor, elderly people, uninsured working families, and immigrants.

It serves everyone.  My huband suffered a head injury in an accident, I asked the ambulance drivers to take him to our hospital.  They said he would have the best treatment at SF trauma center so I said OK.  My daughter and I followed the ambulance.

Our bill was covered by our own medical insurance.

I have no idea why you are so invested in trying to insult systems you know nothing about, but it's truly bizarre.  You might want to stick to what you know, you know, like writers do, because you haven't been right yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

We all know they got theirs, right?

They don't have to worry.

You are exactly right @Noel7.

I think that all they want to do is just repeal the ACA, and they have ZERO intention of replacing it.

They'll use the cop-out saying, "We couldn't reach an agreement", when the reality is, they never intended to reach an agreement in the first place.

To heck with the poor. It's their own fault for being poor and sick in the first place.

Honored Contributor

I would be annoyed and frustrated, too.  I had Obamacare until I got on Medicare about a year and a half ago.  My carrier was no longer going to be on it, and there was only going to be one choice had I stayed on it.  I paid extremely high premiums and had a high deductible.  I would imagine you have the same situation.  I hope you find some place to go that will be a good solution for you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I think that all they want to do is just repeal the ACA, and they have ZERO intention of replacing it.

They'll use the cop-out saying, "We couldn't reach an agreement", when the reality is, they never intended to reach an agreement in the first place.

To heck with the poor. It's their own fault for being poor and sick in the first place.

And further to this @Plaid Pants2 it isn't just the poor and the sick it is every day people trying to make a living at jobs that don't offer any healthcare.  So many of the jobs that are being created do not offer coverage so unemployment numbers look great but if you take a peek under the hood it's not so pretty.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

And further to this @Plaid Pants2 it isn't just the poor and the sick it is every day people trying to make a living at jobs that don't offer any healthcare.  So many of the jobs that are being created do not offer coverage so unemployment numbers look great but if you take a peek under the hood it's not so pretty.

Hi @momtochloe

You are so right.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I Am So Annoyed

[ Edited ]

Medical costs could be more reasonable and affordable if we were actually charged what providers charge insurance companies. We could then remove the middle man (medical insurance) and directly pay the providers. Many people don't know what they are billed and what your insurance actually pays. Many times this is closer to 75% less. Check your EOBs.

When insurance companies go around complaining that they are paying out too much for those with "pre-existing conditions", listen to the actual numbers (if they provide them). It is usually the billed amount, not the allowed amount (what is actually paid) being quoted. I say this as a person with several "pre-existing conditions", yet my insurance makes a very nice monthly profit from me. Its not as much as they were making before the regulations and they charged me $1500/month. Apparently thats the profit loss they are complaining about and want to bring back.

This is an example of one industry scratching the back of another and we the people pay for it all. Insurance companies complain that medical costs and therefore their expenses are too high, yet they make reduced cost deals with medical providers. Those they have come to terms with are a part of their "network" and others (higher cost terms or no terms) are "out of network". When a clinic lets you know your insurance no longer has a contract there it simply means, the clinic wanted a higher percentage than your insurance company was willing to pay. It has nothing at all to actually do with the ACA, just 'backroom business'.

Providers are willing to agree to this deal because the insurance company pushes so much business their way. Larger companies make lower agreed upon payments but offer more business, smaller companies are usually outpriced because they cant get the rate as low as they want since they dont offer the patient flow larger companies do.

All in all, the ACA ate into profits (insurance companies arent actually losing money, they are upset about a reduction in their profit margin) by not allowing the upcharge for, reduction to or refusal of services provided to people that are actually sick and/or disabled. Yes, more people signing up may have helped but I didnt think greedy insurance companies would become less greedy because insurance is mandatory. 

They only see it one way... how can they get back to the rates we used to charge? So they raise rates and tell us one side is causing the higher rates of the other. They make a profit on us ALL, except maybe those that are running into extreme care needs.

Personally, I figure I wont have coverage next year. If the insurance companies get what they want I will be back to $1500 a month for my pre-existing conditions. ($18,000 a year). Dont even get me started on the greed from "big pharma".

#IAmTeamWen
QVC Customer Care

This is an important topic and one that affects us all...please stay away from the political. So do NOT mention the differing health care offerings by name....so I may keep the thread open...

Beth QVC

Honored Contributor

Aside from the fact that some of us worry about missiles reaching out to us, imo the single most important issue is medical coverage for us all.

I know there have been posters here who don't have health care and it breaks my heart. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jordan2

Are you in CA by any chance?  CA has numerous choices, including based on your ability to pay.

No one has to go without health care in San Francisco.

@Noel7, no I live in New York City, there aren't that many different health plans to choose from. Also I had a platinum plan last year this year gold, next stop silver!

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

How did you select this particular insurance, did you do research or was it only a price consideration, I just read some horrible review of the company

@I am still oxox, I chose the plan. I had a plan I liked last year, but they changed where they drew their roster of doctors and facilities. There was no plan that included all my doctors so I had to decide which ones I was willing to change. Money was also a factor, I went from a platinum plan last year to a gold plan this year.