Respected Contributor

Re: I Am Not Good at Getting Rid of. . . What?

Books! There are some I will never get rid of, because I read them over and over. I only get rid of some when my bookshelves are too full to hold anymore. 

I also have a hard time with clothes, though I have gotten much better the last couple of years. My first goal is to not have to change out my closet for the different seasons, and I've made good progress with that. I'm trying now to, if I buy ONE item, TWO must go away. I just bought a new sweater for fall, and I already know which two sweaters will be donated!

Frequent Contributor

I still have my wedding cards-and treasure them😁

Honored Contributor

Books and makeup!

Honored Contributor

@persiflage  What I once saved for entertaining guests, I have been using daily.   I have offered some to family but found no takers. 

I'm not really surprised -  the generation just younger than mine are already old enough to be well established.  They have not wanted their own parents' leftovers let alone those from my home.   Even the few items sentimental to me mean little to them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sentimental items!!!! Especially of my mom's. But I constantly review and try to streamline my mementos. 

That said...I do love to surround myself in storied vignettes throughout my home, done in a tasteful way. Tells the story of my life, keeps those I love and memories close and makes me happy.

But I don't need to store as many mementos as I do...so I reassess this all the time. Mom only passed in 2020...so it just took a little time to let go of some things and assess what I will actually use or display.  

Valued Contributor

Sentimental things. But with the recent passing of my mother and having to deal with that my six younger siblings and I had to learn to donate, gift, toss or consign many items.

There are many things we would like to keep but we have them in our memory so we thought it would be best for others to get good use out of them.

Honored Contributor

@msgb  You have my sympathy for this!  It isn't easy.  We have done a number of estates for relatives and it took us a long time to figure out we aren't a museum. The lived their lives, we need to live ours.

Honored Contributor

just STUFF. Stuff I no longer need or want... but just can not part with... including clothes I never wear and that do not even fit.

Respected Contributor

Makeup. i have two train cases of backup foundations, the original BareMinerals from the infomercial, eye pencils. and nail polish. i stopped wearing makeup in the lockdown.  i do use the nail stuff.

high heeled boots and shoes i donated all my barely used faux leather handbags and faux leather jackets, trendy clothes. some things i still keep, i don't know why. work clothes, suits. i don't see good quality construction and  fabrics in tailored clothes anymore. everything poly span now.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm pretty good at constantly going through everything and getting rid of things I don't use but my clothes/shoes are probably the item(s) I hold on to longer.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown