Honored Contributor

Re: I Am Having Dungeness Crab For Dinner

I've heard of Dungeness crab, but I've never eaten it. When we lived in Maryland, friends invited us over to their place for a crab feast. I did not enjoy trying to crack the crab and pull out the crab meat, to me it wasn't worth the trouble. I do love crab cakes though.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I was wondering what they were and from where.   They look small and like a lot of work to eat.  But I'll bet the effort is worth it.  I love crab.   

Does anyone know what type of crab is used in crabcakes?  The big lumps of crab?

@Bridgegal 

the BEST crabmeat to use comes from blue crabs and you should use jumbo lump crabmeat. you can also make a decent crabcake using backfin.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I've heard of Dungeness crab, but I've never eaten it. When we lived in Maryland, friends invited us over to their place for a crab feast. I did not enjoy trying to crack the crab and pull out the crab meat, to me it wasn't worth the trouble. I do love crab cakes though.

@blackhole99   When I buy them, I have the butcher crack the crabs, and bought crab picks/forks which makes is so easy to get the meat out of the shell once cracked.