Honored Contributor

Re: I Am Having Dungeness Crab For Dinner

@shoesnbags wrote:

Here in NOLA we eat blue crabs from the Gulf - but you pay by the number of crabs, not by weight.  Crabs are sorted into small, medium and large, with the price per crab varying by size. 

While I enjoy the meat from blue crabs, I hate the effort it takes to pick them.  Much rather pick and eat Dungeness crabs.

picking and eating blue crabs is a way of life in maryland. so yummy! also, no one makes crabcakes like we do in maryland!....jumbo lump preferred.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I never heard of this type of crab, but it looks delicious. When l first saw the title, I thought it was about “dungarees.” Woman LOL

They're found in the Pacific Ocean from Washington state down to Baja California, Mexico.  The crab is very tasty. @handygal2 

@qbetzforreal : I’m from NY— l guess that’s why. We get Maryland crab here. Woman Happy

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Buddy is living like a King tonight!   I am having tacos!  lol

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Y-U-M-M-Y!!! 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

Here in NOLA we eat blue crabs from the Gulf - but you pay by the number of crabs, not by weight.  Crabs are sorted into small, medium and large, with the price per crab varying by size. 

While I enjoy the meat from blue crabs, I hate the effort it takes to pick them.  Much rather pick and eat Dungeness crabs.

picking and eating blue crabs is a way of life in maryland. so yummy! also, no one makes crabcakes like we do in maryland!....jumbo lump preferred.

@sunshine45 

It’s a way of life here, too, but I guess I’m just lazy lol. DH will sit there and go through a stack of crabs in no time. But when it comes to boiled seafood (we boil, not steam down here), I’d rather peel and eat shrimp and crawfish. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

.....with ghee (clarified butter)

I bought the live right off the docks at $6.00 per pound.

I love them, and so does my cat, Buddy!

D_Crab.jpg

Wow you pay a lot, I pay between $1.50-$199 a pound where I live. My sister and I have them often, most shops are right on the water.

@JaneMarple  @Anonymous032819   I paid $11+ per pound in December.   My Dad used to fish for these from a pier in SF.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

.....with ghee (clarified butter)

I bought the live right off the docks at $6.00 per pound.

I love them, and so does my cat, Buddy!

D_Crab.jpg

@Anonymous032819   I serve these, marinated, every Christmas Eve, and pay a lot more than you did.

Respected Contributor

I was wondering what they were and from where.   They look small and like a lot of work to eat.  But I'll bet the effort is worth it.  I love crab.   

Does anyone know what type of crab is used in crabcakes?  The big lumps of crab?

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I was wondering what they were and from where.   They look small and like a lot of work to eat.  But I'll bet the effort is worth it.  I love crab.   

Does anyone know what type of crab is used in crabcakes?  The big lumps of crab?

@Bridgegal   The crabs are not small.  I saw another type of crab once, and it was so small.  There is a lot of meat in a Dungeness crab, and they are so sweet.  We feast on them every Christmas Eve.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Bridgegal   If you mean any crab cakes, I would think any crab would do.  I always use Dungeness crab as that is what is local, and the large pieces come from a large claw on the crab, I believe each crab has two, expensive to buy just the lump meat as so many claws are needed.