Esteemed Contributor

I Almost Accidentally Poisoned Myself!😮

[ Edited ]

I decided to bake a tube of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, and the directions said to grease a cookie sheet.

Well, I have some disposable aluminum pans, and decided to use those.

I grabbed a can of spray, and sprayed the pans, when I noticed a strong chemical smell.

I checked the can, and it was not the can of Butter flavored Pam, it was Extra Strength Easy-Off!

Both cans are yellow, and I made the mistake of putting the can of Easy-Off near the stove.

It is now far away from the stove.

Needless to say, both pans were washed with soap and hot water.

Yikes!😯

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: I Almost Accidentally Poisoned Myself!😮

I keep all oils and cooking sprays in the cabinet above the stove.  Most cleaning products are either above the laundry machines or below the sink, although I do have a couple sitting out on the kitchen counter.  

Having had an asthmatic cat, I don't spray oven cleaners in the house.  I haven't cleaned my oven in years, but it also doesn't get used that much.  I use it for other things and I do it either outside or in the garage.  

Glad you didn't poison yourself and ruin the cinnamon rolls although, assuming your sniffer is working correctly, I doubt you wouldn't have realized your mistake before it was too late.

Respected Contributor

You lead a charmed life, @Anonymous032819 . I always look forward to new installments of your continuing adventures. Cat Wink

New Contributor

Please throw those pans out. They are inexpensive. Maybe just me, but I wouldn't eat anything from these. 

Valued Contributor

That's why I keep all my cleaning products under my sink. And my Pam spray over the hood of my stove that has cupboards. Glad you caught it in time Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no, glad all is well.

Move all such things out to the garage.  All of them!

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess @cactusgal  Pam is flammable. It should never be near a heat source or sprayed near heat. Read the container.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Icegoddess @cactusgal  Pam is flammable. It should never be near a heat source or sprayed near heat. Read the container.

@Janey2 it doesn't get that hot up there.  I also keep chocolates in the cabinet above my Oster oven with only inches to spare and they don't melt.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819   Fortunate that your sense of smell saved you.  Glad you are okay.  Especially in the kitchen you know that old saying--"haste makes waste" which usually saves me from most. of. my. blunders--except putting salt instead of sugar in my chocolate cake once . . . but that wasn't deadly--just a big waste of ingredients and effort.

Hope other than that you are doing well. today.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Super Contributor

My husband lost his sense of smell awhile ago.  That would be an especially dangerous situation for him!  Keeping poisons away from foods is a safe strategy for anyone.  When I was a kid, our neighbor brushed her teeth with some hair product that was also in a tube....that mindlessness that we all have at times!  She was fine, and learned a useful lesson in a funny way!