Respected Contributor

Re: I ASKED A WOMAN WHY SHE WAS CRYING

sharke wrote:  

It's not the same world we older folk grew up in. Lots of changes.

I'd kept walking and minded my own business.

Anybody else see that policeman that got shot when he approached a wreck and the person inside shot him for trying to aid ?

If I would witness a crime or something I'd call it in and get back in car and move on.

@SharkE and others who feel this way:   The preponderence of  good people in this country still outnumber the trouble makers.  If I ever see you crying next to your car in a parking lot, I will not hesitate to ask if you need help.  I won't give you my phone number-Woman Tongue-but I will see if there's anything I can do for you.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I'd get in the car and cry and lock the doors.

Remember that gal who called the cops just last week to report something she heard in the alley ?  all she got for her trouble was shot by the cop.

LIke I said I would call for help hit 911, but, not confronting anybody directly.

Esteemed Contributor

Stormy123...I sit here not knowing exactly how to tell you how very sorry I am that your health has deteriorated to the point of Hospice.  My heart goes out to and may God Bless you.  I have been in Pain Management since 2001 after my third failed back surgery. I have never been approached or accosted by anyone.  I intend to speak to my PA at my next appointment about the incident and let them take it from there.  There are two things going on with the woman I spoke with, she is enabling her daughter and she is the victim of elder abbuse.  Thank you for your concern and please take care of yourself, my prayers are with you. Heart

@Stormygirl wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma Hi there! I dont stop by to post much anymore but as a pain patient for last 20 years I felt I needed to add something that hadnt already been said. I am slipping away now and cannot post here alot. First hugs to you for being such a kind person.....but I wanted to add to this.

I have been apprached many times in the many pain clinics I have been a patient..been approached or have seen same as you described inside the clinic, in the parking lot you name it. I even had the Son of a good friend follow me to the pharmacy, pinned me in a corner outside the pharmacy trying to accost my prescription as was the one he wanted but couldnt obtain. I immediately called the clinic and reported the situation. Yea my friend was mad as heck (turns out she was using his script as well) I was profusely thanked by the clinic as when people abuse these serious prescriptions and someone dies? Well not only does one have to worry about them being dropped but the clinci may be shut down and THAT affects you. (me) as patients of a clinic for valid reasons. My docs also tell me is why they DO NOT accept multiple family members.as patients in same clinic. If something bad happens the CLINIC and Doctor are held to account and the clinic in deep trouble legally. Is why is so important to help protect your doctors who oftentimes have the best interest in mind of the patients but cant police the patients. I know is wrong that the Docs can be held legally but it happens. My present Doc spent the night in jail for exactly your story. Noone reported what they knew and sure it affected more then the persons involved as the clinic almost closed.

I had encountered a woman with almost per word your same story. (crying by the car etc had a daughter taking her meds from her) She enabled her daughter to the point her daughter overdosed. If you value your pain clinic I hope that you consider reporting this....am afraid they may know now who reported so am at a loss except for the other suggestions given.  I would protect my Clinic and my docs forst and foremost....noone else.

I hope you are ok and bless you for your heart. Big hugs I need to go lay down. I am considering hospice at this point. Hugs to ya xxxxxxxx Stormy

@Stormygirl wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma Hi there! I dont stop by to post much anymore but as a pain patient for last 20 years I felt I needed to add something that hadnt already been said. I am slipping away now and cannot post here alot. First hugs to you for being such a kind person.....but I wanted to add to this.

I have been apprached many times in the many pain clinics I have been a patient..been approached or have seen same as you described inside the clinic, in the parking lot you name it. I even had the Son of a good friend follow me to the pharmacy, pinned me in a corner outside the pharmacy trying to accost my prescription as was the one he wanted but couldnt obtain. I immediately called the clinic and reported the situation. Yea my friend was mad as heck (turns out she was using his script as well) I was profusely thanked by the clinic as when people abuse these serious prescriptions and someone dies? Well not only does one have to worry about them being dropped but the clinci may be shut down and THAT affects you. (me) as patients of a clinic for valid reasons. My docs also tell me is why they DO NOT accept multiple family members.as patients in same clinic. If something bad happens the CLINIC and Doctor are held to account and the clinic in deep trouble legally. Is why is so important to help protect your doctors who oftentimes have the best interest in mind of the patients but cant police the patients. I know is wrong that the Docs can be held legally but it happens. My present Doc spent the night in jail for exactly your story. Noone reported what they knew and sure it affected more then the persons involved as the clinic almost closed.

I had encountered a woman with almost per word your same story. (crying by the car etc had a daughter taking her meds from her) She enabled her daughter to the point her daughter overdosed. If you value your pain clinic I hope that you consider reporting this....am afraid they may know now who reported so am at a loss except for the other suggestions given.  I would protect my Clinic and my docs forst and foremost....noone else.

I hope you are ok and bless you for your heart. Big hugs I need to go lay down. I am considering hospice at this point. Hugs to ya xxxxxxxx Stormy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

homedecor1...Please do not worry, you did not scare or offend me.  I spent two months in FL the beginning of this year and I pray for the people there who need pain medication.  I saw people on line at a Walgreen's Pharmcy in dire pain and were told their prescriptions would not be filled.  I hate to think what this world be like if everyone was afraid to help others.

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

I sincerely hope I didn't offend OR scare you with my reply.

Its just my nature especially moving to FL. There is always some scam going on here & the drug (addiction) & elder abuse is high.  Everyday there is a news report about the "new" scams.

I'm sure I would do the same if I had seen this woman before. I guess I'm cautious.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

greeneyedlady...Thank you very much, I appreciate your kindness.  I would certainly hope if someone saw me in stress they would ask if I need help.  Not all people have evil intentions and I am not sorry I asked the woman if she needed help. Heart

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma You were coming from a place of compassion and purity of heart. So yes you didn't intellectualize the situation and think about scams and ramifications. Hopefully these days human compassion still wins out more often than not, unfortunately there are people who take negative advantage of that. Obviously it's much easier to analyze such a situation from a chair in front of a computer. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Hope all will be well with you.

Super Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma I think you are a kind soul, with a big heart. If the world had more people like you, what a wonderful place it would be.

I almost wish I had never read this post. It pretty much sums up the internal conflict I have with the world today and how I react to it. I am a big believer of "be the change you want to see" and yet I just recently scolded my mother for helping a stranger herself.

Maybe I lack courage in my convictions? Don't know.....

I do feel it is so sad that our first instinct can't be to reach out in kindness because it can cost you your life.

There have been a couple of times in my life when the actions of a stranger(s) made a tremendous impact on me; either for my personal safety or during a time when hope seemed very bleak. What if they had lacked the courage to step in? I am so very fortunate they did not.

I can understand why you felt the need to post this LG.

Peace and blessings to you

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

Did you report this to the pain management clinic? 

I would. They need to know if someone is scamming drugs in their parking lot, or an elderly woman is being bullied into handing over her pills.Either way, they should know.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Why would someone be standing outside their car crying (but trying to hide it?).

Wouldn't they be in their car crying? 

I was just going to say the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

greeneyedlady...Thank you very much, I appreciate your kindness.  I would certainly hope if someone saw me in stress they would ask if I need help.  Not all people have evil intentions and I am not sorry I asked the woman if she needed help. Heart

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma You were coming from a place of compassion and purity of heart. So yes you didn't intellectualize the situation and think about scams and ramifications. Hopefully these days human compassion still wins out more often than not, unfortunately there are people who take negative advantage of that. Obviously it's much easier to analyze such a situation from a chair in front of a computer. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Hope all will be well with you.

@Lindsays Grandma

But that's just it, you can't tell just by looking at someone whether they are a scammer, or not.

You took a huge risk, and could've easily gotten hurt.

But for some people, that's a lesson that they have to learn the hard way, before they realize that not everybody is as they seem.

Your safety comes first.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

sharke wrote:  

It's not the same world we older folk grew up in. Lots of changes.

I'd kept walking and minded my own business.

Anybody else see that policeman that got shot when he approached a wreck and the person inside shot him for trying to aid ?

If I would witness a crime or something I'd call it in and get back in car and move on.

@SharkE and others who feel this way:   The preponderence of  good people in this country still outnumber the trouble makers.  If I ever see you crying next to your car in a parking lot, I will not hesitate to ask if you need help.  I won't give you my phone number-Woman Tongue-but I will see if there's anything I can do for you.

@IamMrsG  I think the big issue here is that this was not an ordinary parking lot-it was at a pain management clinic.  Once the woman began to talk about problems with medications, that is when the red flag went up for most of us.

Would you have stood there assuming the best or would that red flag have gone up for you too?

I also believe there is still more good in this world,  but to say that a person who would not stop and ask isn't as good a person as somebody who would is unfair

I'm not saing that is what you are implying, but each person has to make up his/her own mind especially depending upon the circumstances.

There is no right or wrong here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh