Esteemed Contributor

Re: I ASKED A WOMAN WHY SHE WAS CRYING

Worst case scenario:

Woman is crying in the parking lot of a pain management clinic.

Person goes up to them to ask what is wrong.

Person tells tale of woe.

Meanwhile, the accomplice is near by, hiding.

When the victim's attention is distracted, the accomplice jumps out, and they, and the cryin woman rob, mug the victim for their property, or even rughed up or kidnapped.

No.

If a person is seen "crying", especially in the parking lot of a pain management clinic, don't even acknowledge them.

Just walk on by.

Better safe than sorry.

Don't make yourself a victim.

Don't be stupid.

Don't be nieve.

Don't be gullible.

Don't be a victim.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

I sincerely hope I didn't offend OR scare you with my reply.

Its just my nature especially moving to FL. There is always some scam going on here & the drug (addiction) & elder abuse is high.  Everyday there is a news report about the "new" scams.

I'm sure I would do the same if I had seen this woman before. I guess I'm cautious.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

JobGirl wrote:  No one is trying to scare the poster but she sounds very naive and could have put herself at risk-  Telling her how kind she is while she may be being played isn't helping her either and she may think twice before doing it again -the fact that she did this and believes the story tells me she should be concerned who gives their name and phone # to a complete  stranger in a parking lot at a pain clinic after being told that story?  The building is filled with professionals trained to deal with such issues and whats the op going to do to remedy any of it anyway? 

While I agree that Lindsays Grandma used her heart more than her head in that parking lot, I see no good reason for five pages of replies telling her she made an egregious error in judgement.  Why must everyone pile on with their observations and opinions that they would have been smarter?    I see this happen thread after thread.  One-upmanship flourishes here. After the point has been made a time or two, wouldn't a more beneficial reply be to offer suggestions for steps toward protecting herself after the fact?  

Edited to fix wonky spacing.

I don't see this as a pile-on.  Most of us don't believe the woman's story, but some posters do.  Those of us who are warning the OP to be careful feel it's important that we're heard because this could have serious consequences.  It wouldn't be helpful if we sat back and silenced our voices because then the "Oh, that poor woman, what a  horrible daughter!" posts would dominate this thread, and the OP would likely go on believing the entire scenario.

Kind-hearted people are often taken advantage of, and kind-hearted people are targeted for this kind of scam.  The OP needs to know how we view what happened, what our own life experiences have taught us, what the red flags were, etc.  It has nothing to do with "one-upmanship" or being smarter.  It's about keeping a fellow poster safe in the event that something shady was going on, which is entirely possible.

I've seen many posts that offered constructive ideas as to to what she can do going forward.  And I didn't see anything nasty, just people concerned and trying to warn her that the scenario she described sounds sketchy.

It goes without saying that her heart was in the right place.  She was clearly well-intentioned.  But we all need to be careful when it comes to total strangers in situations like this.  And I think it's a good reminder to everyone reading the replies here, not just the OP.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma Hi there! I dont stop by to post much anymore but as a pain patient for last 20 years I felt I needed to add something that hadnt already been said. I am slipping away now and cannot post here alot. First hugs to you for being such a kind person.....but I wanted to add to this.

I have been apprached many times in the many pain clinics I have been a patient..been approached or have seen same as you described inside the clinic, in the parking lot you name it. I even had the Son of a good friend follow me to the pharmacy, pinned me in a corner outside the pharmacy trying to accost my prescription as was the one he wanted but couldnt obtain. I immediately called the clinic and reported the situation. Yea my friend was mad as heck (turns out she was using his script as well) I was profusely thanked by the clinic as when people abuse these serious prescriptions and someone dies? Well not only does one have to worry about them being dropped but the clinci may be shut down and THAT affects you. (me) as patients of a clinic for valid reasons. My docs also tell me is why they DO NOT accept multiple family members.as patients in same clinic. If something bad happens the CLINIC and Doctor are held to account and the clinic in deep trouble legally. Is why is so important to help protect your doctors who oftentimes have the best interest in mind of the patients but cant police the patients. I know is wrong that the Docs can be held legally but it happens. My present Doc spent the night in jail for exactly your story. Noone reported what they knew and sure it affected more then the persons involved as the clinic almost closed.

I had encountered a woman with almost per word your same story. (crying by the car etc had a daughter taking her meds from her) She enabled her daughter to the point her daughter overdosed. If you value your pain clinic I hope that you consider reporting this....am afraid they may know now who reported so am at a loss except for the other suggestions given.  I would protect my Clinic and my docs forst and foremost....noone else.

I hope you are ok and bless you for your heart. Big hugs I need to go lay down. I am considering hospice at this point. Hugs to ya xxxxxxxx Stormy

Valued Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma Hi there! I dont stop by to post much anymore but as a pain patient for last 20 years I felt I needed to add something that hadnt already been said. I am slipping away now and cannot post here alot. First hugs to you for being such a kind person.....but I wanted to add to this.

I have been apprached many times in the many pain clinics I have been a patient..been approached or have seen same as you described inside the clinic, in the parking lot you name it. I even had the Son of a good friend follow me to the pharmacy, pinned me in a corner outside the pharmacy trying to accost my prescription as was the one he wanted but couldnt obtain. I immediately called the clinic and reported the situation. Yea my friend was mad as heck (turns out she was using his script as well) I was profusely thanked by the clinic as when people abuse these serious prescriptions and someone dies? Well not only does one have to worry about them being dropped but the clinci may be shut down and THAT affects you. (me) as patients of a clinic for valid reasons. My docs also tell me is why they DO NOT accept multiple family members.as patients in same clinic. If something bad happens the CLINIC and Doctor are held to account and the clinic in deep trouble legally. Is why is so important to help protect your doctors who oftentimes have the best interest in mind of the patients but cant police the patients. I know is wrong that the Docs can be held legally but it happens. My present Doc spent the night in jail for exactly your story. Noone reported what they knew and sure it affected more then the persons involved as the clinic almost closed.

I had encountered a woman with almost per word your same story. (crying by the car etc had a daughter taking her meds from her) She enabled her daughter to the point her daughter overdosed. If you value your pain clinic I hope that you consider reporting this....am afraid they may know now who reported so am at a loss except for the other suggestions given.  I would protect my Clinic and my docs forst and foremost....noone else.

I hope you are ok and bless you for your heart. Big hugs I need to go lay down. I am considering hospice at this point. Hugs to ya xxxxxxxx Stormy

I am sorry things are so difficult for you now-

Thank you for sharing your story and reinforcing  what we were all trying to warn of about these kinds of scams-

Honored Contributor

Wonderful words of wisdom, eloquently written.

Praying blessings on you for your compassion for others while you are in a health crisis yourself.

@Stormygirl

Honored Contributor

Thank you Stormygirl for posting that this has happened to you as a pain clinic patient.

I'm sorry to read of your decline and hope for a miracle that you are able to feel better.  Soon.

You are a kind poster and thank you for not wishing your pain on anyone as I've seen so many times on these threads.

Prayers to you.

Respected Contributor

@Stormygirl   In this entire thread, yours may be the most valuable post to Lindsay's Grandma.  Taking the time and making the effort to type such a salient and wise reply represents the good person you are.  

I am sincerely sorry to hear of your difficulties and pray for comfort in whatever capacity that means for you.  God bless you.         --Mrs. G.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma You were coming from a place of compassion and purity of heart. So yes you didn't intellectualize the situation and think about scams and ramifications. Hopefully these days human compassion still wins out more often than not, unfortunately there are people who take negative advantage of that. Obviously it's much easier to analyze such a situation from a chair in front of a computer. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Hope all will be well with you.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

It's not the same world we older folk grew up in. Lots of changes.

I'd kept walking and minded my own business.

Anybody else see that policeman that got shot when he approached a wreck and the person inside shot him for trying to aid ?

If I would witness a crime or something I'd call it in and get back in car and move on.