Esteemed Contributor

Re: I ASKED A WOMAN WHY SHE WAS CRYING

catchersmom...I almost wish I had never written this post Smiley Sad  Thank you very much for your kind words.  It is one thing to express an opinion but how it is expressed makes a huge impact.  People have the tendency to read more into a situation than exists and it suddenly is blown out of proportion. What a sad world we live in that we are chastised for attempting to help someone but it is what it is and we learn to live with it.  God Bless you, and lots of hugs. Heart

@catchersmom wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma I think you are a kind soul, with a big heart. If the world had more people like you, what a wonderful place it would be.

I almost wish I had never read this post. It pretty much sums up the internal conflict I have with the world today and how I react to it. I am a big believer of "be the change you want to see" and yet I just recently scolded my mother for helping a stranger herself.

Maybe I lack courage in my convictions? Don't know.....

I do feel it is so sad that our first instinct can't be to reach out in kindness because it can cost you your life.

There have been a couple of times in my life when the actions of a stranger(s) made a tremendous impact on me; either for my personal safety or during a time when hope seemed very bleak. What if they had lacked the courage to step in? I am so very fortunate they did not.

I can understand why you felt the need to post this LG.

Peace and blessings to you

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

As I mentioned to another poster, the woman would not necessarily wait until she was inside her car to cry.  More than likely it started as soon as she walked out the door of the clinic knowing what faced her as soon as she got home.

@Daisy wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Why would someone be standing outside their car crying (but trying to hide it?).

Wouldn't they be in their car crying? 

I was just going to say the same thing.

@Daisy wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Why would someone be standing outside their car crying (but trying to hide it?).

Wouldn't they be in their car crying? 

I was just going to say the same thing.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

There is a drug epidemic down here & pharmacists must follow the guidelines for everyone!

My spouse who never takes any meds has a severe nerve problem & dr prescribed Rx for OxyContin - you'd think he was a bank robber.  He had to fill out all kinds of documentation, provide drivers license & had to have Rx to give to pharmacy (no online from dr).

Then they only give you a specific amount & then you go thru the

same procedure to get the next Rx (if prescribed). In FL they also will not honor out of state Rx for any narcotics.

Dont know when you were here but we have Sheriff officers in our Walgreens (CVS to my knowledge no longer fills oxy rx) because they were robbing drugstores😳.  I noticed lately Sheriff not always in our Walgreens must be under control.

Of course this is off the subject of your original post.  I guess I'm just leary as I've been involved in law enforcement for many years -- and it's hard to know who to trust in this world!  

Hope you feel better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

There is a drug epidemic down here & pharmacists must follow the guidelines for everyone!

My spouse who never takes any meds has a severe nerve problem & dr prescribed Rx for OxyContin - you'd think he was a bank robber.  He had to fill out all kinds of documentation, provide drivers license & had to have Rx to give to pharmacy (no online from dr).

same procedure to get the next Rx (if prescribed). In FL they also will not honor out of state Rx for any narcotics.

Dont know when you were here but we have Sheriff officers in our Walgreens (CVS to my knowledge no longer fills oxy rx) because they were robbing drugstores😳.  I noticed lately Sheriff not always in our Walgreens must be under control.

Of course this is off the subject of your original post.  I guess I'm just leary as I've been involved in law enforcement for many years -- and it's hard to know who to trust in this world!  

We arrived in Orlando Jan. 3 of this year.  I found a pain doctor in Lake Mary who contacted my pain doctor in AZ which enabled the new MD to  prescribe my pain meds for me.   FL is the worst state from what I have been told regarding pain medicne.  Pain clinics were raided in broad daylight by the DEA, guns in hand, people told to get on the floor, etc.  We drove around to eleven pharmacies to fill a prescription for a month supply of oxycodone.  Pharmacies were ordered to cut their supply of pills they usually keep on hand, it ws a nightmare.  My heart goes out to the people there who need pain medicine to get through each day.  I'm surprised your hubby was prescribed oxcontin, very addictive.  Incidentally, narcotics cannot be called into a pharmacy, written prescription only and I believe it has been a rule that pharmacies  will not fill out of state prescriptions .  Hope your hubby is feeling better and will not have to deal with the aggravation of getting pain medicine. People are suffering and instead of getting compassion they are treated like addicts or drug dealers.  
What a sad, sad world we live in today.  God Bless, take care and thanks for for your post.

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

Valued Contributor

I am amazed the elderly woman gave you so much info. I too wonder why you would exchange phone numbers since this woman is virtually a stranger and probably needs some sort of professional counselor etc. You said she was a patient at the pain clinic in good standing. If she calls you or her daughter calls you, as others suggested, do not get involved. Maybe you will have to inform the pain clinic about this situation and the info the lady gave you.

Esteemed Contributor

While I like to try to believe people until I have a reason not to, to do so in this case would be foolish. 

Sorry but I doubt this woman even has a daughter. I think this was a scam to get more pills. I don't even know if I believe she was still a patient at this clinic if she ever was. She could have been a patient who WAS a patient there and got booted and made up this very dramatic and over the top story to get pills from other patients coming out. I just don't believe the whole story about her just breaking down in tears and then telling a complete stranger this while still being a patient there and risking them telling the Pain Clinic. That is too much of a risk because most people would probably tell the clinic. 

She was looking for pills IMO. 

If a story doesn't make sense which to me, this doesn't then it most likely is not true. Why would a person tell a complete stranger this whole sordid story? Sorry doesn't pass the smell test for me. 

We have such a serious epidemic on our hands. Almost 52,500 people are dying per year from prescription and street drugs with opiates both prescribed and street opiates making up the vast majority of that number. The lengths that people are going to to get them is shocking. This is higher than the amount for car accidents or gun deaths (murder and suicides).

IMO this was a setup to get some pills voluntarily from you or trying to forge a relationship and find out personal info to rob you. I know that sounds extreme and dramatic but I think that could very well be the scenario. 

If I were you I would not answer any phone calls from her at all. Just stay completely out of it. If this IS indeed a true story, this woman will not turn her child in. She is already going 3 weeks out of every month in pain and giving her daughter the majority of her script so to think she would actually turn her daughter in is foolish. Not that I believe that story at all.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

We arrived in Orlando Jan. 3 of this year.  I found a pain doctor in Lake Mary who contacted my pain doctor in AZ which enabled the new MD to  prescribe my pain meds for me.   FL is the worst state from what I have been told regarding pain medicne.  Pain clinics were raided in broad daylight by the DEA, guns in hand, people told to get on the floor, etc.  We drove around to eleven pharmacies to fill a prescription for a month supply of oxycodone.  Pharmacies were ordered to cut their supply of pills they usually keep on hand, it ws a nightmare.  My heart goes out to the people there who need pain medicine to get through each day.  I'm surprised your hubby was prescribed oxcontin, very addictive.  Incidentally, narcotics cannot be called into a pharmacy, written prescription only and I believe it has been a rule that pharmacies  will not fill out of state prescriptions .  Hope your hubby is feeling better and will not have to deal with the aggravation of getting pain medicine. People are suffering and instead of getting compassion they are treated like addicts or drug dealers.  
What a sad, sad world we live in today.  God Bless, take care and thanks for for your post.

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

Actually oxycontin is the same exact drug as oxycodone only it is time released so you don't have to take the drugs every 4-6 or 8 hours. You take one every 12 hours and it releases oxycodone through out that period and is not instant release like oxycodone is. They have also reformulated the drug several years ago to make it safer and tamper resistant so it can't be broken up and the dosage being released all at once @Lindsays Grandma.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Stormygirl, I am so sorry. Hugs to you. I also think you gave her great advice and the parking lots for these places are exactly where they hang out to run their scams because they KNOW that pain management patients are there and that is who they are looking for.

I also agree with @NYC Susan that most of the posters here aren't chiding the OP, they just want to let her know that these parking lots are where this stuff goes down and it is even common for this to happen in the PM parking lots and pharmacy parking lots. 

The OP sounds like a lovely and caring person and sometimes people who are like that and go by the book and obey the law and obey instructions from their doctors have a hard time understanding people who do everything they can not to. Sometimes they don't understand how far an addict can and will go and the scams they try to get what they want. I think most here just wanted her to know that and warn her it would just be better to avoid her altogether. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

The truly sad thing here is, after all the people who have told her that this most likely was a scam, and that she could have easily been hurt, robbed, mugged, or worse, she still doesn't hear, nor want to hear the warnings.

The sad thing is, she won't learn that until it happens to her, and she is robbed, mugged or physically hurt.

Do NOT get me wrong. I am NOT wanting that to happen. But if she continues to put herself in dangerous situations, then the chances of that happening goes up.

It will be only then that she will learn that what we have said is true.

You can't trust every sob story that you come across.

Honored Contributor

I find it odd that those of us who give to panhandlers are taken to task yet in this situation, where opioids are involved,  some are not batting an eyelash.

It doesn't matter if the OP heeds the warnings or not; what I don't like is the self-righteous who feel those of us who had that hinky feeling about the story are not compassionate or nice or whatever.

You pick your battles.  Again, there is no right or wrong here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh