Honored Contributor

I AM SO MAKING THIS-CRISPY COCONUT CHICKEN!

Crispy Coconut Chicken Regular

I am sure by now, those of you who follow us, realize that we love coconut. 

Take these Coconut Lime Macaroons or these Coconut White Chocolate Scones or these White Chocolate Coconut Brownies.

Believe it or not, we have a LOT more coconut recipes on this little website of ours which we think you’d love.

Just like this one.  Crispy Coconut Chicken.

I stumbled upon this recipe and thought to myself, I like chicken.  I like coconut.  And I love foods that are fried.  Of course, I’m sure you could easily bake this for a healthier version.  I though, am a total sucker for fried foods.  {Guilty Pleasure.}

So what makes this so darn tasty?  Well, really all fried foods are tasty, but honestly it’s the coconut.  This recipe is beyond simple and yet packed with so much flavor. 

It’s officially on my favorite list and one I’ll be making again and again. 

If you like chicken, coconut and fried {or baked} foods, give this a try.  It might just become a favorite of yours too!

Tip: This can be done as nuggets, strips or whole breasts.  Personally I really liked doing it large nugget style so I could maximize the coconut per bite ratio. However doing nuggets does take longer.  So if you are making this for a large group I’d do strips. 

Crispy Coconut Chicken

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients

• oil for frying {I use vegetable}
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper {optional}
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 - 4 cups of sweetened coconut flakes (Baker's Coconut)
  • 3 - 4 medium boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into strips or nuggets.

Instructions

1. In a medium pot, add 2 - 3 Inches of oil. Turn burner to medium high and allow oil to get nice and hot.
  2. In a bowl mix cornstarch, salt, pepper & cayenne pepper. Set aside.
  3. In a second bowl, add 3 eggs and lightly beat.
  4. In a third bowl add coconut flakes.
  5. Take chicken and douse in cornstarch mixture. Then dip into eggs and cover well. Then dip in coconut and set aside on a plate. Do this to all chicken.
  6. Once chicken is ready, check oil. Place the end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If bubbles form around the spoon the oil is ready. If bubbles do not form around the spoon then the oil is not hot enough.
  7. Once oil is hot enough, GENTLY add chicken one piece at a time to oil, ensuring chicken does not touch and stick together upon initial contact into oil.
  8. Cook chicken for approximately 4 minutes then flip and allow the other side to cook. Cook second side for an additional approximate 4 minutes.
  9. Gently remove golden chicken and set on a paper towel lined plate. Cook chicken in batches if all does not fit into pan.
  10. Once all chicken is cooked, serve with your favorite sauce.
  11. We enjoyed this plain, with honey, with an orange sauce and with sweet & sour sauce. Choose your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!

Recipe by: Jo Cooks

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Trusted Contributor

Re: I AM SO MAKING THIS-CRISPY COCONUT CHICKEN!

OMG.  You had to post the picture!!!!  Seriously, this looks too good.  I love coconut and will definitely be adding this to my recipes.  Thanks for posting the information.