Honored Contributor

Re: I AM IN THE MOOD TO SAY SOMETHING HATEFUL!

Why did I check this thread? Right before bedtime! A potato bug? I'm gonna need half a nerve pill to stop twitching. Gahhhhhh
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having lived in South Carolina for a very short while (coming from a big ol'Yankee state) I was warned about the palmetto bugs.

Such a quaint and lovely name for such vile vermin.

I knew that the SE was crawling in 'em. I'd rented a house in Florida for a few years. And thank gosh for the screening. In the evening it was as though we were being swallowed up by flying bugs trying to encase us in a box of their bizz-buzzing, fluttering bodies.

Yeeks.I was always waiting for some to chew right through the screening - they would be that big and aggressive.

(Ever see "Night of the Living Dead" when the zombies are trying to bust into the house)???

They'd actually be exhausting to deal with - even through a screened in room. lol

But the lovely "palmetto bugs". They aren't like city roaches. I mean, its usually that one (BIG) sighting. Like a single one here and another day another one over there. And they're sort of lazy-a$$ed in terms of bugs. They generally just sit there....like a vampire bat up in a corner of the ceiling or something.

What I could never get used to - ever - was how they're drop from the ceiling. I mean, anytime I saw one, it would just appear out of the ceiling somewhere and DROP to the floor.

You never quite get used to that. lol

Trusted Contributor

This picture, as you call it a potato bug, is more popularly know as a JERUSALEM CRICKET and is of the cricket family. I can't imagine anyone moving because of a cricket !

Trusted Contributor

The "potato bug" in the picture is a cricket, commonly known as the Jerusalem Cricket.

Trusted Contributor

What you are all calling the PALMETTO BUG,  in South Carolina, is a form of a cockroach. It has a rounder shape than the traditional cockroach. But it is not was is pictured as the "potato bug", which is actually the Jerusalem Cricket.

Valued Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

What you are all calling the PALMETTO BUG,  in South Carolina, is a form of a cockroach. It has a rounder shape than the traditional cockroach. But it is not was is pictured as the "potato bug", which is actually the Jerusalem Cricket.

Yes. I know. Its a cockroach. I was talking about the palmetto bug and not the potato bug that someone had pictured. Smiley LOL

There are plenty of bugs to go around.

I remember being in school as a kid at an academy located within lots of forested acreage during what was one of the 17-year cicada infestations.

The swimming assistants loved to freak everyone out by eating the cicadas.

Now I know they're a (gulp) good source of protein in many a mud village. But I think it was the way that the swim ass'ts would snatch the cicadas off a tree and then rip (or rather, shuck) them in two - cracking them open between the eyes (like any good gourmet knows) Smiley LOL as to then suck out all that goopy-delicious"protein" that would have us kids all screaming.

Well, I was never a screamer.

I just thought those swim assistants needed to get themselves to a bayou...right'quick.

I mean, come on, not even a nice chianti or anything to go with it???

With some nice mixed greens or maybe in clarified butter, why, whose mouth wouldn't just water for one of these?

cicada.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

Yes. I know. Its a cockroach. I was talking about the palmetto bug and not the potato bug that someone had pictured. Smiley LOL

There are plenty of bugs to go around.

I remember being in school as a kid at an academy located within lots of forested acreage during what was one of the 17-year cicada infestations.

The swimming assistants loved to freak everyone out by eating the cicadas.

Now I know they're a (gulp) good source of protein in many a mud village. But I think it was the way that the swim ass'ts would snatch the cicadas off a tree and then rip (or rather, shuck) them in two - cracking them open between the eyes (like any good gourmet knows) Smiley LOL as to then suck out all that goopy-delicious"protein" that would have us kids all screaming.

Well, I was never a screamer.

I just thought those swim assistants needed to get themselves to a bayou...right'quick.

I mean, come on, not even a nice chianti or anything to go with it???

With some nice mixed greens or maybe in clarified butter, why, whose mouth wouldn't just water for one of these?

cicada.jpg

Shocked Smiley.jpgDouble Yuck Smiley.jpg Yuck Smiley.jpg

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

STOP grossing me out with these horrible pictures!!!!  Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Enough of the bugs already... How's about a vegetable garden cupcake? 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

Enough of the bugs already... How's about a vegetable garden cupcake? 

Adorable!  Is that frosting? I must have frosting!