Honored Contributor

Re: Husband in long term care, and doctor's appointment.\

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

You need a primary care doctor.  They usually are the ones who handle hospice referrals and can put you in touch with social workers.  It sounds like it’s time for a decision on the status of his health and if home care is required, or hospice.  If he can’t transfer on his own from the bed, he may be bedridden.  Home care or hospice services may allow him to stay in his home as they can provide home heath aides as well as skilled nursing care.  I would start with the primary care doctor....also, if he is in a rehab facility, please speak with their social worker and the rehab physician about his care and your concerns.  They should be able to guide you on the next steps given his condition.  You can request a meeting with them.  I hope this helps you.

Please stop the talk about hospice.  Hospice is for people who have six months or less to live.  Once you are in hospice, there will be no life extended care...just pain and comfort care.

The OP didn't mention that her DH is dying, so hospice is not the place for him.

in addition, hospice is a service, not a place.  Hospice services can be provided in a nursing home, your home or in a hospital.  If he needed this type of service, the nursing home would take care of it.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

You need a primary care doctor.  They usually are the ones who handle hospice referrals and can put you in touch with social workers.  It sounds like it’s time for a decision on the status of his health and if home care is required, or hospice.  If he can’t transfer on his own from the bed, he may be bedridden.  Home care or hospice services may allow him to stay in his home as they can provide home heath aides as well as skilled nursing care.  I would start with the primary care doctor....also, if he is in a rehab facility, please speak with their social worker and the rehab physician about his care and your concerns.  They should be able to guide you on the next steps given his condition.  You can request a meeting with them.  I hope this helps you.

Please stop the talk about hospice.  Hospice is for people who have six months or less to live.  Once you are in hospice, there will be no life extended care...just pain and comfort care.

The OP didn't mention that her DH is dying, so hospice is not the place for him.

@Carmie 

Hospice now accepts people with chronic illneses that will result in their death. Hospice is brought in early to give support during the end stage which can be a few years in some illnesses. It has changed a great deal. The six month criteria is still used for some conditions but other conditions that have a long end stage are accepted once the deterioration begins.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My neighbor received Hospice benefits for over 1 1/2 years.  They have changed their criteria for patients.

He had a special bed brought in.  Home health twice a week, free meds delivered and meal service!

His wife had free house cleaning and Hospice would keep him at the home for her to take a vacation. 

He would drive to Wal-Mart to shop!

Not the old way of doing things!

Honored Contributor

I am aware that hospice has changed somewhat.  It is now billed and approved in 90 day benefit periods.

What has not changed is the type of care given.  Hospice provides comfort and pain management.  You cannot have any procedures that will be life saving and a doctor must verify that you're terminally ill and expected  to die in six months or less.

Once on hospice, you have no benefits for curative treatment, curative drugs, room and board, no out patient hospital services, such as emergency room treatment, inpatient care or ambulance.

You get comfort care only.  It truly is for patients who are terminal.  Yes, some people do live longer than six months, but they have to be expected to pass in six month or less.

Honored Contributor

Regarding hopices: Please be very carefull in choosing one. There have been many recent allegations of misdeeds as the industry had grown so much.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have nothing to offer you except prayers.  Hopefully you have a close friend or relative to be your sounding board.

Honored Contributor

@crackster 

I think your starting point is to have a sit down talk with the medical director, or a case manager/social worker at the skilled nursing unit where your husband is right now.   Let him/her help you fully understand your husbands condition, and what to expect as far as his physical decline.

During this conversation, run your thoughts by these professionals and see if they believe it is a feasible and workable plan, based on your husbands condition.  Clearly, you want to be with your husband, and he would be more satisfied with you, but make sure you move towards your goal with a solid plan that addresses your husbands health needs, but is going to work for you too.

Best wishes to you.

Respected Contributor

If he needs that much assistance, he may not qualify for assisted living. Better check with homes first. My mother has 24/7 in-home care, which is expensive but worth it. 

(I live out of town.) sending light and love to you, because you are in an emotionally difficult situation with no easy answers.

I don't know if what I'm going to tell you will help I hope that some of it will somehow. 
my son who is 30 made a bad choice and did some drugs which caused him to have several strokes.He went from walkie talkie "normal healthy 30 year old to completely disabled. He can no longer talk walk move on his own he is totally dependent. The doctors suggested I put him in a nursing home but being in the medical field 20 plus years I absolutely refused to place him there if I went broke and if it was going to be hard on me that would be the road I chose. I found out about this place called CICOA they help keep your loved ones home they will send in a nurse and any help you need to help care for them. There's such a huge realm of what these people can do they are amazing. As far as the incontinance goes I use condom catheters for my son I don't want an in dwelling Cather which can cause infections. Any supplies you need they will educate you where and how to get them you can even have mobile doctors come in and care for your husband at home. You can have someone sit while you shop. Also they can set you up for structured family care. I don't know what state your in but look them up these people are angels. They have made it possible and easier for me to keep my son home. I hope this helps you. 🙏

Trusted Contributor

@crackster ,

You have been in my thoughts. When you can, please let us know how things are going. You are facing issues I and many other of us soulmates have faced. Words can't describe how difficult this is. Not knowing you personally, I do hope you do not leave your home if it is your beloved healing place.