Esteemed Contributor

THIS is a big hurricane.  Unlike the big deal made out of Tropical Storm Hermine, this Hurricane Matthew could be devastating to the areas exposed.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We're on a coastal island off the GA coast, so we're watching Matthew closely.

DH fired up the generator today to make sure it's working fine. Hoping we don't have to evacuate!

@KingstonsMom  Great.  Even worse traffic around Atlanta!  Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Be safe and move it if you got to go.  Heart

Actually, I'd be hitting the liquor store now.  I think I'm too far inland in North Georgia to be affected which is a shame because we need the rain but don't be shy about starting the party bus along the hurricane evacuation route if you need to.  Smiley Happy   

@Laura14

Be serious, we both know that the traffic in Atlanta couldn't possibly be any worse, LOL!

I lived in LA for 7 years and I'd much rather drive the freeways there than in Atlanta!

Since you live inland GA, I'll just drive the party bus along the evacuation route to your house, LOL!

Smiley party drunk.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@nycgrl. Don't forget bottled water.  If you're on the coast you can always head inland.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh and lots of hotels will take pets too in a hurricane.  Just call to check.  

Respected Contributor

Prayers for all in the path of the storm.  My heart just breaks for Haiti.  I have family members who have done volunteer work there and they say that the people are so good and have so little.  They fear leaving their homes during a disaster for fear that they little they have will be looted while they are gone, sadly much will be lost anyway and their lives are at risk.  Again, prayers for all.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hurricane Matthew

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

THIS is a big hurricane.  Unlike the big deal made out of Tropical Storm Hermine, this Hurricane Matthew could be devastating to the areas exposed.

Some get hung up on the "direct hit" which indicates where the EYE is located.

Hurricane-force winds (up to 145 mph) extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km) from the center EYE

and

tropical-storm-force winds (50 to 73 mph) extend outward up to 185 miles (295 km).

This is also a slow moving storm which means that these conditions can exist for a long time and have lots of rain!

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Oh and lots of hotels will take pets too in a hurricane.  Just call to check.  

@Snoopp

That's right! Even hotels that are not always pet friendly will accept pets in the case of a natural disaster.

The last mandatory evacuation we had, there was no problem with hotels allowing our entire family's pets (and that was LOTS of pets, LOL!)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I watched the ABC news channel in Sarasota this morning and they said it is veering toward the east today and they don't expect it to directly hit any of the USA, just to skirt along east of the coast. This is the same as my friend in Hilton Head was told there. 

@151949, The latest per the Weather Channel is that all the computer models are coming into agreement as of the 3pm advisory.  They expect landfall in South or North Carolina or both.  From there, the hurricane either skirts the coastline as it travels north, goes inland, or perhaps out to sea.  It's still too early to know what it will do with respect to the East Coast north of the Carolinas.

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I watched the ABC news channel in Sarasota this morning and they said it is veering toward the east today and they don't expect it to directly hit any of the USA, just to skirt along east of the coast. This is the same as my friend in Hilton Head was told there. 

@151949, The latest per the Weather Channel is that all the computer models are coming into agreement as of the 3pm advisory.  They expect landfall in South or North Carolina or both.  From there, the hurricane either skirts the coastline as it travels north, goes inland, or perhaps out to sea.  It's still too early to know what it will do with respect to the East Coast north of the Carolinas.

@Brooklynny

@SC governor Haley is is on the Weather Channel now, announcing that they are starting evacuations of all coastal areas of SC tomorrow @ 3PM. They listed the counties involved and are suggesting that people evacuate 100 miles inland.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Brooklynny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Brooklynny

@SC governor Haley is is on the Weather Channel now, announcing that they are starting evacuations of all coastal areas of SC tomorrow @ 3PM. They listed the counties involved and are suggesting that people evacuate 100 miles inland.

@KingstonsMom, yes, I heard that a few minutes go.  It's the right thing to do considering the horrible floods SC had not too long ago.  Property can always be replaced or rebuilt.  The NJ-NY-CT tri-state area is still repairing the damage from Sandy whose 3rd anniversary is coming up at the end of October.  It may be taking too long, but it can be done.  Lives can't be replaced.