Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Laura is Now a Cat 4

[ Edited ]

I really wish people would stop saying "You can't fix stupid".  It's an old, over used phrase that has no meaning.

These are everyday people and certainly not "stupid".  Most are generational land/home owners and have been through some tough times before.

There is a difference between mandatory and voluntary evacuation, too.

If mandatory, you will risk not being rescued and that is a choice some make; whether for protecting property or knowing the risks or having survived before-I'm not about to refer to them as "stupid".

Leaving and sitting in your vehicle may be given some thought but there you are-sitting where??

I also doubt anyone here would leave their pets behind, too.  We know pet owners have responsibilities.  And nobody here would admit to leaving them behind, anyway.

It would be better to just say a prayer or send good vibes or whatever one chooses to do for everyone; just because some remain behind doesn't mean they are not worthy of concern but of denigration.

We see this everytime; those sitting comfortably in dry homes with food, water, and electricity are always the ones to point out the "stupid" people.

Have a heart; it's easy to say "Well *I* would do such and such" when you are not even in the path.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a bit on the weather channel, a reporter was in Lake Charles and luckily the water was about 4 feet in places-- I think he said.  He was standing next to a big puddle.

I guess they wanted to prepare people for the worst and thank goodness it wasn't as bad as they thought it could be.

I know it was predicted to be in the area of 20 feet (storm surge).  Does anyone know how high it got or will get?

Esteemed Contributor

Meteorologist have learned to do that the hard way!

Honored Contributor

Is the worst of it over now?  I don't get the Weather Channel so haven't been inundated with coverage.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I really wish people would stop saying "You can't fix stupid".  It's an old, over used phrase that has no meaning.

These are everyday people and certainly not "stupid".  Most are generational land/home owners and have been through some tough times before.

There is a difference between mandatory and voluntary evacuation, too.

If mandatory, you will risk not being rescued and that is a choice some make; whether for protecting property or knowing the risks or having survived before-I'm not about to refer to them as "stupid".

Leaving and sitting in your vehicle may be given some thought but there you are-sitting where??

I also doubt anyone here would leave their pets behind, too.  We know pet owners have responsibilities.  And nobody here would admit to leaving them behind, anyway.

It would be better to just say a prayer or send good vibes or whatever one chooses to do for everyone; just because some remain behind doesn't mean they are not worthy of concern but of denigration.

We see this everytime; those sitting comfortably in dry homes with food, water, and electricity are always the ones to point out the "stupid" people.

Have a heart; it's easy to say "Well *I* would do such and such" when you are not even in the path.

@Cakers3 Thank you for your thoughts, of which I agree.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Just heart breaking to see all the damage in that part of Louisana.  And then to have that big chemical fire on top of everything else.  Just so sad.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *