Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hurricane Isaias and Floridians

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

The pronunciation is like the name of the Old Testament prophet Isaiah. (eye-zae-uh)

The hurricane is name Isaias in Spanish not like the bible. It's the same name but different spelling, therefore pronounced differently.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3  I have lived in my home in the Seattle WA area going on 30 years. The longest our  power was out was one winter about 20 years ago. We had a  Huge three punch winter storm....rain.... then strong wind and then Ice storm. Trees fell everywhere ....power was out for a week.  For some peopke it was a month....It was. 30 degrees out. We had no power...no heat...nothing. We ran out of wood to burn.... it was awful and I never forgot about it. 

That is why I bought the generator.  Money well spent even if I rarely use it.

I will never be so unprepared again.🙂

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is bad, and getting worse for Floridians.  Between the hurricane and other.     Buckle up.  I fear it is going to be a long and rough road ahead.   🙏🏼

Honored Contributor

Looked up the pronunciation.

Spanish and Portuguese:

ees-ah-EE-ahs

English translation:

Isaiah...as in the Bible.

Valued Contributor

@SunSprite  I live in Weston, Florida. Our power lines are underground. We did not lose power after last few hurricanes - Irma, Dorian.  We should be okay with this one (I hope).Brought in outside chairs and grill but didn't put up shutters.

Now, Hurricane Andrew, was a different story. We sheltered in small hallways throughout the night with mattress on the floor. Very scary. Major damage. No AC! No power! This was in Miami.

Although Hurricane season runs from June30 - Nov30, this is early for one. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Esteemed Contributor

I am in central Florida. After Irma, I was without power for like two weeks. We have well water, so I had to use pool water to flush the toilet. I went in the pool to rinse off as I could not take a shower. It was hot and humid in my house. When it got dark out, I had to go to bed and sleep on top of my sheets. I was glad I had all my flame less candles. Of course my husband was out of town, so I was home alone. It was a challenge for sure. It really made me appreciate electricity!
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Question for those who experience Hurricanes regular.  I live on the West coast so never have to deal with Hurricanes. How often does your power go out and for how long?  That for me would be the worst part.

I live in Seattle and HATE IT if the power goes out for an hour let alone days. I put in a $20,000 whole home generator so if we ever lose power( which is rare) I have lights...refrigerator...cable and internet. I am such a wuss!😄

Depends on the Category. I believe Dolly was a 3 and we were without power for 8 days. Last week Hanna was a Cat 1, I was without power for 39 hours. 

My cousin who lives in Houston was without power for a month after Hurricane Harvey.

Valued Contributor

@Zaimee   The no A/C was brutal! We had a record heatwave immediately after Hugo that lasted for a couple of weeks. At the time I worked in insurance, and although I had never been trained as a claims processor I became one over night lol....we had to have special passes to drive to work due to restriction in travel and early curfews. Seeing the National Guard in tanks on our little local roads was surreal. 

The moment that really sticks out in my memory though was the day the power trucks pulled onto our street to repair our lines. You would have thought Elvis, the Beatles, and perhaps the Pope had showed up. People cheered/clapped, brought them cold drinks and food (and cold drinks back then were like gold!!!). Never been so happy to see a group of people Smiley Very Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

COVID-19 has allowed more sea turtle nests to thrive and the numbers have increased due to lack of human disruption and waste.

The hurricane could disrupt many of these nests, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

Looked up the pronunciation.

Spanish and Portuguese:

ees-ah-EE-ahs

English translation:

Isaiah...as in the Bible.

Yes. This is how you say Isaiah in Spanish. The I is pronounced like an E.💃🏽🕺🌬

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"