Honored Contributor

Hurricane Isaias and Floridians

How are y'all preparing?  Be safe.

(Still trying to pronounce this one.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Isaias and Floridians

@Cakers3 I keep listening to all the reports thinking I'll find one pronunciation my brain will remember.  Isaias is not a name I'd ever known -  and I'm not at all happy to learn it with a hurricane threatening.

The neighbors I talked with yesterday were busy moving lightweight objects, but delaying closing shutters.  Then they were more worried about excess water than the winds.

I haven't checked in with anyone this morning, but I do know from experience that hurricane damage is like any other storm -  exactly where you live compared to where the storm goes is important.  It's like the Realtors tell us about buying -  it's all location, location, location.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've heard it pronounced as "E-sigh-a".

HTH!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

By the time I learn to pronounce it ... it will be blown over and gone. Anyone know the origins of the name.  Wondering if this is a trend and will the next name be in a differrent alphabet and totally different language.  LOL

Honored Contributor

It's odd because the original path took it to the west coast but changed it seems overnight to the east coast.

Looks like it is going to hug the coast all the way up the eastern seaboard but will lose some punch over inland areas.

Cat 1- seems more water damage than wind but still enough to cause serious harm.

I hope for the best for everyone.

Be ready.  Stay safe.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I've heard it pronounced as "E-sigh-a".

HTH!

@Anonymous032819 

ees-ah-EE-ahs.  A blend of Spanish and Portugese.  Interesting.  This is the one I heard earlier.

Regardless, hoping this hurricane moves quickly with minimal damage.  I cannot image people trying to evacuate during this pandemic.

Trusted Contributor

, Re: Hurricane Isaias and Floridians

Well, considering I just found out about it, nothing. Not true...I'm reading up on what we're supposed to do, if we are in a danger area, etc.

We moved to this specific area (giving DH an hour commute each way) in order to not be in a flood plane, not be in an evacuation route (unless something rare/ungodly happens). Looks like we are the place people will come TO if they are evacuated. Rain fall is expected to be 1-2 inches for us. Since we don't have a TV, we'll have to follow it via our laptops.Looks like our movers will be here while there is heavy rain; this will be interesting. 

"Kids, we moved during a hurricane". 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

Hurricane Isaias is pronounced ees-ah-EE-ahs, according to the Atlantic Basin Storm Name Pronunciations guide.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp   I already posted that.  Eyes on your own paper, please.  lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've moved in my patio table set and rocking chairs into my garage, shaking all cushions gently to warn the lizards.  There is not enough time left at this point to put on the shutters, which I do myseIf.  Usually a hurricane warning is issued 36 hours ahead--less than 24 this time.  I do hear a neighbor tapping away to cover his windows, but no one else seems to be preparing storm shutters.  If I was sure I had 12 hours for the task, I would do it, but it could be more like 7 or 8 hours.   Putting in shutters during wind gusts . . . I did it once but won't try it again.  That year, I came in so exhausted from struggling with storm panels that I got to sleep early--and then slept through a Cat 3, waking up refreshed. It had come, done its hurricane things, and then gone away but I was so tired that it couldn't wake me up. 

I heard this AM that the wind element likely will be stronger than had been forecast, but (if everything stays as it is for the next 8 hrs or so) ) the rainfall won't be as bad as NOAA had feared.  I guess my little neighborhood will find out--no flooding would be a comparative blessing.