Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Florence 9/9/2018 based on model

Prayers to all in the area of the storm......

Please stay safe...and your furbabies too.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I wonder if it could hit at a cat 5.  Looks like Wilmington is in for it.

@Snoopp

It's expected to weaken to probably a CAT 3 before going ashore.  "The top three intensity models all predicted that Florence would weaken on Thursday as it approached landfall, hitting as a Category 3 storm with 115 – 125 mph winds."  (Dr. Jeff Masters on Weather Underground)  Still nothing to sneeze at.  The Category # just refers to wind speed, and it's the rain that's expected to be a problem if Florence stalls as expected.  That's what happened to Houston last year, and we all saw how that turned out.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

We had a major huricane, Fran, come through central NC in 1996.  I hoped I'd never see the likes of that again, but here comes Florence.  Last time we were totally unprepared because we were told the worst of the storm would affect the eastern part of NC.  Besides that, we were scheduled to move the day the hurricane hit.  Everything was in boxes!  When we lost power at 2:00 AM, we had to dig through boxes in the dark to find a candle!  For the remainder of the night we listened to trees crashing to the ground.   We had no power for a week, some had to wait longer.  

If possible, I pray this hurricane stays at sea and affects no one.  

Valued Contributor

We were in Hugo in 1989 (South Carolina), but were a couple of hours inland so got just rain.  We were on the west side of it so no major damage like the other side.  Since then, we moved to California and I have experienced some earthquakes.  I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes anyday.

Be safe, all of you in its path.  

Honored Contributor

I think coastal carolinas get more and worse storms than we get here in Florida. Last year was the first direct hit from a hurricane in my town in 57 years, but our friends who live in coastal S. Carolina have had to evacuate at least once every year.They are in extreme southern S Carolina and have decided to ride this one out because it seems they will only be on the edge of it.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

I wonder if it could hit at a cat 5.  Looks like Wilmington is in for it.

@Snoopp

It's expected to weaken to probably a CAT 3 before going ashore.  "The top three intensity models all predicted that Florence would weaken on Thursday as it approached landfall, hitting as a Category 3 storm with 115 – 125 mph winds."  (Dr. Jeff Masters on Weather Underground)  Still nothing to sneeze at.  The Category # just refers to wind speed, and it's the rain that's expected to be a problem if Florence stalls as expected.  That's what happened to Houston last year, and we all saw how that turned out.

Last last I heard, the rainfall is expected to be less than Houston.  Still, flooding and storm surge are big problems.  

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think coastal carolinas get more and worse storms than we get here in Florida. Last year was the first direct hit from a hurricane in my town in 57 years, but our friends who live in coastal S. Carolina have had to evacuate at least once every year.They are in extreme southern S Carolina and have decided to ride this one out because it seems they will only be on the edge of it.

I sure hope your friends are keeping an eye on the changes to the projected track and are aware that the wind field is over 300 miles.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

For the Carolinas...Florence will be 'a storm of a lifetime' according to some reports.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I sure hope your friends are keeping an eye on the changes to the projected track and are aware that the wind field is over 300 miles.

We Invited them to come stay with us for a few days but they said no - they are about a 6 hour drive from here and they don't want to have to go that far with their puppy - also the puppy isn't 100% housebroken yet as she's only 3 months old and they are afraid she'd have an accident. We just couldn't convince them that it would be OK.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic, We lost around 80 trees that night. We were without power 17 days. It was so horrible. People have the chainsaws going right now.