Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hurricane Florence 9/9/2018 based on model

I am praying for everyone that ends up in its path.....

We always planned to move to Florida when we retired...and then Andrew hit.....We have friends in Orlando, Tampa and St pete....but I deceided to stay where I am after that.....

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  I think a person is much more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident due to snow and ice than they are to be injured or killed from a hurricane. 

One thing about a hurricane - you know it's coming for several days and have plenty of time to prepare your property and then leave the area.

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for all in the path of this storm. I too am hoping it fizzles out before it hits, but that is not looking likely.

QVC Customer Care

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  I think a person is much more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident due to snow and ice than they are to be injured or killed from a hurricane. 

One thing about a hurricane - you know it's coming for several days and have plenty of time to prepare your property and then leave the area.

Your post is not a one size fits all scenario @151949. Over three thousand people died in Puerto Rico which is an Island. Where were they supposed to evacuate to? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Your post is not a one size fits all scenario @151949. Over three thousand people died in Puerto Rico which is an Island. Where were they supposed to evacuate to? 

The hurricane isn't going to Puerto Rico - it's going to the Carolinas.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The hurricane isn't going to Puerto Rico - it's going to the Carolinas.

I'm fully aware of that fact @151949 but your generalization of evacuating  does not fit into a neat little package!

"One thing about a hurricane - you know it's coming for several days and have plenty of time to prepare your property and then leave the area."

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

And then there’s this....

2F127E7F-B44A-4D3C-B630-770CD52E2E5B.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I just heard there are 80 feet waves at sea!  80 feet!  It will slow down when it hits land and dump so much rain, many areas will be flooded.  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I just heard there are 80 feet waves at sea!  80 feet!  It will slow down when it hits land and dump so much rain, many areas will be flooded.  

I heard that too.  I wonder how they know.  Can satellites measure wave height?