Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Dorian has eyes on Florida...

Everyone in the path of this storm are in my thoughts and prayers.  I haven't looked at anything since this morning and GMA was saying shelves in Florida are already empty of supplies.  

Several cruise ships have already closed ports and are offering no charge changes to itineraries.  I heard Royal Caribbean has closed their private island for a week already.

I am heading out to Californa in a few hours but I will pray that everyone is safe.  

Respected Contributor

I am SO happy Puerto Rico was spared the worst of this storm!

Even though we live in Ocala (smack dab in the middle of the state) where the forecasts show it will hit approximately in our driveway.  (Thanks to all for your good wishes).

Anyhow, we're staying put and are prepared as well as we can.

Funny, DH went to Publix yesterday (at 7:00 am because he likes to beat the crowds) before we knew more.  This morning, he went back at the same time to get add'l supplies and said it was swamped!.  But have enough to survive.  Thank goodness Ocala is a high poiint in FL, so we don't have to worry about flooding. Just the damaging wind, etc.

Pray for the coasts, who are under more severe potential damage.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy 

Lol! 

‘I never thought to ask that question about keeping the old wood used during the past hurricane!

A good thought!

So, yes, what about this question Floridians?

Stay safe!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

Lol! 

‘I never thought to ask that question about keeping the old wood used during the past hurricane!

A good thought!

So, yes, what about this question Floridians?

Stay safe!

I have always had that question about fans here in the PNW.  Whenever extremely hot weather is predicted they show the shelves empty of fans.  I always think do people just throw them out?

Honored Contributor

Are any Floridians being told to evacuate?

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to all of you in Florida!.  I wish the storm would change direction and head out to sea.

I’m have a cousin in Estero, south of Ft Myers. They sold their cottage in Captiva due to the storms. 

Thoughts and prayers for you, keep safe! 💙

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Are any Floridians being told to evacuate?

Not any of the ones that I've talked to. Of course, it's far too early to determine how it might affect the west coast as it cuts across the state. The two people that I know on the east side are in the West Palm & Boca Raton areas, and while they expect evacuation orders to come, it hasn't happened yet. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Praying for safety for all that are in Dorian's path ....

Hope your area misses the storm @homedecor1 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My one granddaughter goes to a private school  and they notified my daughter that her school is closed on Tuesday.

My daughter's been loading up on gas.  She said it's already crazy at the pumps.

My son-in-law lives and has his company in Miami.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy 

I am not in Florida but can tell you that from another coastal town it depends on the type of wood people buy whether it can be re-used. It is is particle board and gets wet it tends to be a loss. There are  many people that are "seasoned" at hurricane prep. They not only save and reuse but have them labeled as to where they go.These people tend to get many hurricanes out of their wood.

A friend has storm shutters that fold up on the house like shutters. In less than an hour they can unhook them and open them over the window. It is expensive up front but they last a long time.

doxie