Respected Contributor

Re: Hurricane Dorian has eyes on Florida...

Good to hear that Puerto Rico escaped the worst of the storm.

The new forecast being reported has Hurricane Dorian hitting the US as a Category 4. Florida and Georgia should prepare for catastrophic damage if this strength is accurate, . There is still a great deal of uncertainty on the landfall location. You should have seven days of food, medicine and water.

Honored Contributor

Every time this happens I'm so glad our friends who live in Avon Park near Sebring never convinced us to buy down there.  No hurricanes here in the frozen north of the UP.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kimnola wrote:
We are in the St. Augustine area and spent the day at Home Depot. Most importantly, a Get the heck out of here bag. Needs for our cat, Safe contents, i.e. birth certificates, insurance, before photos of exterior and interior dated. Also 2 paintings wrapped and blanketed. Food and water. God bless to all our fellow Floridians and qvc supporters too at this time. Maybe she will turn Northeast and go out sea.

May be a silly question.....Why everytime a hurricane is coming everyone heads to Home Depot for supplies.  Didn't they keep the wood they used to board up the windows from the last hurricane.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

It looks like Floridians have been gearing up since Dorian was projected.  Good planning ahead helps them, their neighbors, and also those who will be involved with rescue, etc.

There was a map on the Weather Channel showing the eastern side of Florida and the last time a hurricane hit along certain counties.  Amazingly one went back to 1979.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

It’s changed direction quite a bit since the first projections, going far north of the path predicted just a day or so ago. Not saying it won’t hit Florida, since it’s certainly tracking north and west and Florida is big as heck in front of it. But where she’ll blow nobody knows right this minute. 

The best way to track these named storms and understand their potential is on the site of the National Hurricane Center. You can track Atlantic and Pacific storms. 

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

That site is full of facts, map tracks, projections and official bulletins. It can keep a good watch for folks in the paths of these things or those who have relatives that might be vulnerable. Hurricane season is in effect until the end of November. 

Take a look and get familiar with the site tools. 

@gizmogal  It is a given this many days out the path will change. It will also become more defined where/if it makes landfall as each day/hour passes.

I watch the weather channel throughout the day...everyday. Over the years I have found there are still many folks on the forums that don't pay attention to the weather daily and sometimes hourly like I do. So I thought it was time to post info  Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise   I like the WC, too.  Not just for weather but for shows like SOS with Creek Stewart.  I usually watch our local weather on the 8's.

Weather is fascinating and scary.   I don't have it on as much as you do but I do tune in more when there is a serious forecast such as Dorian and winter storms back home.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

May God bless and protect all in the path of this storm

Honored Contributor

Oh goodness I was stunned when I got home from grocery shopping just now and turned on the news.  The last I saw Dorian had skirted PR but didn't look like it did a tremendous amount of damage God bless so I was stunned to find out it is turning into a potential Cat 4 storm impacting FL.  Prayers for safety and grace during this time for those that may be directly impacted and for those that have friends and loved ones in those areas.  Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Weather blond in a fuschia cocktail dress practically grinning whilst talking about the current predictions.

Oy.

I'm going for my lunchtime walk.  It's gorgeous here today.

Respected Contributor

I'm watching the news regarding the hurricane with a semi-interested eye as I have a beach place on one of the Gulf barrier islands (it's being looked after) and family concentrated in the Bradenton/Sarasota/Naples area. Dependent on the track of the storm, those areas could be impacted as Dorian crosses the state. But to be honest, if it wasn't going to impact that area, I likely wouldn't be giving it another thought beyond saying a prayer for those who are affected. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

Hi Guys .. .... I'm in Jacksonville, nice to see fellow neighbors here. I'm staying put as well,  The apartment I'm in is pretty much secure,all cinder blocks.  My main concern is the electricity.

At the moment, I have a few health issues, another reason I'm staying put.  I'll fill the tub with water, just in case, for flusing the toilet.  Have bottles of water piled up.  a jar of peanut butter and some can goods.

I just pray, we don't get hit hard.

You all be safe; and look forward to seeing your posts.