Honored Contributor

Hurricane Advice From Harvey Survivor

This plucky woman in the wetlands of her flooded living room, was interviewed by a reporter on Bret Baier's program.  What encouragement did she have for future populations affected by hurricanes.  "Set your priorities", she said, "and hold loosely to your material possessions.  They're just things."   The correspondent asked her how she was doing and she said fine.  She mentioned her sweet neighbors, and looking out for each other, and repeated "We'll be fine".   (I'm paraphrasing, but that's as close as I can get.)

What a neat woman.  I envy her serenity and far-sightedness.  Of course what she said is easier said than done (I'm more the basket-case type) but it's nice to see that someone can achieve that perspective....

Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Advice From Harvey Survivor

[ Edited ]

I've read similar sentiments like that recently.

Where one woman lost her home, material things, had no place to go back to but was so grateful for being safe and the love of her fellow victims of Harvey.

So inspiring.

I think a lot of it is being so grateful but also shock. And shock can be a wonderful, and protective thing sometimes.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

The things that  you can't take with you  are the things that make you who you are. 

Thanks for that story @Oznell.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

The woman was so right 

When I was younger, material possessions were very important to me.   As I got older, I realized that they weren't worth much.

Friendship, love, relationships and the goodness we share with others is what makes us rich.

Trusted Contributor

God Bless them all. So many heartwarming and inspiring stories. There is an old saying that really hits home during these catastrophes.....You've never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul, but you will see a line of cars filled with the people who loved you. That's what is truly important. The human spirit will always triumph. My prayers continue for them.

Honored Contributor

Until someone has experienced a life and death situation, you don't know how strong you really are and how easy it is to see material things for what they are -- things.   Replaceable things.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell, thank you for this thread. I'm much calmer now knowing I will be with family in one place....

We will definitely lose a lot-no question-stuff is not important.

I nearly died in 2015-it forever changed me, but for the moment, I'm my old self....

This morning I thanked Adonai for the beauty of the sunrise.....

OT: in talking to others around here, we have all noticed a scarcity of birds in the morning....

Last weekend in Bokeelia, I saw pods of dolphins.....normally we don't see so many during the summer....they were beautiful, but I was thinking to myself "What is up with this?"....

We have so much to do today, but staying busy is good for me.

It gives me so much strength knowing we are in so many's thoughts and prayers!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Great to hear from you, Poodlepet2-- stay safe and God speed...