Respected Contributor

As I sat in front of my computer lamenting about an item that had sold out before I had time to order, I saw a piece on the news about the number of families struggling for food right now and waiting hours in line for assistance.  The report said that 40% of them had never needed to do this before the pandemic.  

I hope that those of us who are able will contribute to these efforts.  Many of us are so fortunate to be able to work from home or even still have a job when so many are out of work.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Hungry Families this Year

Yes, it is very important to not dwell so much on minor hardships those of us who can afford to shop at the Q may experience, while around the world people are truly suffering and many have died.

I count my blessings every day and always try to send donations as much as possible.

Respected Contributor

Just heartbreaking

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

As I sat in front of my computer lamenting about an item that had sold out before I had time to order, I saw a piece on the news about the number of families struggling for food right now and waiting hours in line for assistance.  The report said that 40% of them had never needed to do this before the pandemic.  

I hope that those of us who are able will contribute to these efforts.  Many of us are so fortunate to be able to work from home or even still have a job when so many are out of work.  

It is really bad this year. You see it on the news almost daily where the lines at the food banks are so long. A friend of mine work at the High School. Last week before they went back to On line learning a young teenage girl came to school but wasn't suppose to be there. She had been around someone that was exposed to the virus so she had to quarantine. Well they asked her why was she there and her answer was that she was hungry. They got her a lunch pack and sent her home. But it's just so sad that so many people are with out food.

Esteemed Contributor

About a month ago my church put in the bulletin that they are not doing any live decorations this year, only the ones in storage to donate to 5 food banks. Well of course I thought now the people who sell live trees and wreaths and garland will not make their seasonal sale. I shouldn't have worried. Of course anonymous donors bought the live for our church. Win, win. Then I telling my husband about it and I was going to give extra this year to the church online and he said he already had. Santa is alive and well. Also one of the easiest place to donate is Amazon. Even 5 bucks really adds up.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have close personal friends who have been having difficulties feeding their families and themselves since they lost jobs b/c of the pandemic. Some of them have been living together in cramped living conditions because they lost the place they use to rent, forcing multiple families to live under one roof.  I've been trying to help them the best I can with some food but it's still not enough. One of the moms said to her young kids that Santa is quarantined and that Christmas will have to wait until later. 

Trusted Contributor

I live in a town that has a food pantry in one of the churches that I drive by all the time.  I have never seen a line out the door until this year.  It's heartbreaking.  I feel so fortunate to still have my job and be able to work from home.  We have been donating and have decided that we are going to cut down on what we spend on Christmas and send that money to the food pantry instead.

Esteemed Contributor

Our PTA is still emailing and have asked for several families.

One I know is an infirm woman caring for a grandchild who lost their sole produce working parent to the virus.

So many are taking risks for us.

Honored Contributor

We support our regional food bank. They are experts at getting the food to the largest number of needy people.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Where I live the schools, resturants and churches are giving out free lunches everyday to anyone 18 and under for no charge.

We also have food banks and churches are handing out boxes of food and the lines are long.

Yesterday, My DH and I went out to run a few errands.  I commented that almost every business had help wanted signs in the windows. The business owners are complaining that no one wants to work. There are jobs out there.

I know that not everyone can work, but for heavens sake..what is the matter with people?   At one time my DH worked one full time and two part time jobs.  He had to...to keep food on our table.