Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hungry Families this Year

I'm tempted to say that I'm shocked by the callous disregard and inability to comprehend the plight of others thrust into unfortunate circumstances not of their own making......but here, I guess I shouldn't be shocked.   

Respected Contributor

ITA @Johnnyeager , as any one of us could find ourselves in the same situation one day. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some people seem to think that the number of job openings equals the number of currently unemployed job seekers.  The math is not that simple in this unprecedented situation.   Tell the 90,000 unemployed Broadway and theater folks in NYC.  Actors Equity has a nearly 100% unemployment rate, with few work options available. 

Esteemed Contributor

My dh asked me the other day, if I remembered the year we gave the bag lady his Christmas turkey that he had recieved from him boss. This was over 30 years ago. It was an older woman who lived in a run down house who pushed an old shopping cart from her meager home to the car wash and would look all around on the ground for loose change, she would also go thru the garbage cans there. I remember how happy she was to get that turkey. 

What really strikes me, as I am looking back, is when we had a whole lot less we somehow managed to give a whole lot more. 

Respected Contributor

I also find it hard to imagine if your family is starving why you won't give up on some of the expenses you have that are not urgent needs. I have seen many people asking everyone they know for help meanwhile they have not given up one thing that costs them money. Cable tv, streaming services, etc.. Used to be people would give up everything before they asked for help. And would take any job they could get to put food on the table. 
That said I'm sure some people are truly doing their best and still struggling. But times are much different and some people think they can't live without some specific material things. 

Esteemed Contributor

Where did this new myth that starving people still stream Netflix even come from?  I thought these stereotypes of the underprivileged and hungry were long gone.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I also find it hard to imagine if your family is starving why you won't give up on some of the expenses you have that are not urgent needs. I have seen many people asking everyone they know for help meanwhile they have not given up one thing that costs them money. Cable tv, streaming services, etc.. Used to be people would give up everything before they asked for help. And would take any job they could get to put food on the table. 
That said I'm sure some people are truly doing their best and still struggling. But times are much different and some people think they can't live without some specific material things. 

@Lali1  I haven't seen anyone asking for help. These must be people you know if you know they haven't given up anything. How do people know all this? Are they at food banks in a Mercedes talking on iPhones? I'm sure I am missing something.

Honored Contributor

Philanthropy isn't for everyone. Though I think most of us get real joy from maiking someone else's life a little better. There but for the Grace of God etc.

If it stresses you out or you get overly concerned about means testing donees to determine whether they really deserve your gifts, you might want to switch to helping animals instead. People who are more jaded about humans often find it easier to give to animals without strings or resentments attatched. We don't get caught up in whether a hungry dog or cat is good at doing tricks before we feed him or her.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@Lali1  I haven't seen anyone asking for help. These must be people you know if you know they haven't given up anything. How do people know all this? Are they at food banks in a Mercedes talking on iPhones? I'm sure I am missing something.

Mercedes really? No I mentioned the things that most people have that they can and should give up if they are struggling to pay bills. I have empathy for those who are struglling to survive but struggling is not always the same from one person to another. Not being able to get your nails done or you hair highlighted is not a true struggle. 

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Where did this new myth that starving people still stream Netflix even come from?  I thought these stereotypes of the underprivileged and hungry were long gone.

It's not a stereotype for many people they still spend money on lots of things that are not necessities. Believe it or not but it is happening. Not everyone has their priorities in order.