Honored Contributor

Re: Hungry Families this Year

@barrel racer wrote:

Our community is giving out free turkeys and many restaurant are doing free complete dinners.  Not sure why everyone must have turkey, we are having chicken

@barrel racer, it's a tradition. Charities have always given out turkeys.

I personally prefer and having chicken, but most people think turkey and this holiday are synonymous.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

As I sat in front of my computer lamenting about an item that had sold out before I had time to order, I saw a piece on the news about the number of families struggling for food right now and waiting hours in line for assistance.  The report said that 40% of them had never needed to do this before the pandemic.  

I hope that those of us who are able will contribute to these efforts.  Many of us are so fortunate to be able to work from home or even still have a job when so many are out of work.  

People suddenly out of work from good paying white collar jobs still have to pay their mortgages and bills and their children's expenses. Many have already used up a lot of their savings. Working part time at Walmart would not save them from losing their expensive home.

I don't think some folks here understand how widespread these issues are. It's not just one small socioeconomic group who has been affected by the Covid economic disaster. Food insecurity is affecting people who never thought they would be on the receiving end of a donated meal. These are people like you and me.

I understand that working at Walmart is not going to pay all the bills of people who have racked up thousands of dollars worth of bills because they had expectations of being able to pay it back.

But, sitting  home waiting for the tooth fairy to take care of them isn't a good option.  Yes, they will probably lose their expensive home, so will people who never made six figures in their life unless the government bails them out.

It still is not an excuse to not take any job they can get.  Sitting at home free loading meals that could be given out to those who are unable to work or find work is not the right thing to do.  

If they have no employment benefits coming in, or they have run out why do they think

"we the people" are responsible to support them?  How do they expect to live on no income at all?

I would give my last dollar to anyone who is really in need...and I have, many times.  But, I wouldn't give a penny to a free loader.  I would however feed their children.  They are not responsible for their lazy, entitled parents.

And, no they aren't like me.  My DH has worked one full time and two part time jobs most of his life and I have worked full time and often picked up part time jobs to make ends meet.

If I needed money, I would work at Walmart. There is no shame in that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

As I sat in front of my computer lamenting about an item that had sold out before I had time to order, I saw a piece on the news about the number of families struggling for food right now and waiting hours in line for assistance.  The report said that 40% of them had never needed to do this before the pandemic.  

I hope that those of us who are able will contribute to these efforts.  Many of us are so fortunate to be able to work from home or even still have a job when so many are out of work.  

People suddenly out of work from good paying white collar jobs still have to pay their mortgages and bills and their children's expenses. Many have already used up a lot of their savings. Working part time at Walmart would not save them from losing their expensive home.

I don't think some folks here understand how widespread these issues are. It's not just one small socioeconomic group who has been affected by the Covid economic disaster. Food insecurity is affecting people who never thought they would be on the receiving end of a donated meal. These are people like you and me.

I understand that working at Walmart is not going to pay all the bills of people who have racked up thousands of dollars worth of bills because they had expectations of being able to pay it back.

But, sitting  home waiting for the tooth fairy to take care of them isn't a good option.  Yes, they will probably lose their expensive home, so will people who never made six figures in their life unless the government bails them out.

It still is not an excuse to not take any job they can get.  Sitting at home free loading meals that could be given out to those who are unable to work or find work is not the right thing to do.  

If they have no employment benefits coming in, or they have run out why do they think

"we the people" are responsible to support them?  How do they expect to live on no income at all?

I would give my last dollar to anyone who is really in need...and I have, many times.  But, I wouldn't give a penny to a free loader.  I would however feed their children.  They are not responsible for their lazy, entitled parents.

And, no they aren't like me.  My DH has worked one full time and two part time jobs most of his life and I have worked full time and often picked up part time jobs to make ends meet.

If I needed money, I would work at Walmart. There is no shame in that.

@Carmie We really don't know the status of the folks waiting in line at the food banks.  I would bet my bottom dollar that most of them are employed but are just not earning enough to make ends meet.

Trusted Contributor

I hope we all donate to individuals and organizations that support those in need now matter how that need came to be.  One of the personal traits I have been working on is not being judgmental about those in need.  Yes, there are some who take advantage of kindness but many more that do not.

For those with certain beliefs, you will know what I mean when I write that I was convicted in my spirit because of negative views about a single mother who needed help. I thought, why does she continue to have children and was a bit angered about that. As I said, convicted in my spirit.  My colleagues and I donated cash, gift cards, clothing, books, and toys for the children.  The mother requested a few items for herself.  I bought items for each of the children and gave the mother a wool coat that I could no longer fit, a couple of sweaters, and a few other items.  Was I compesating for my earlier feelings?  More than likely yes. I later found out that the mother was overjoyed about the winter clothing because she had very little.  Humbled.  Now, I am working hard to be generous in spirit, less judgmental, and more willing to help because it is what we should do.  I try to no longer divide people into deserving or non-deserving categories, just help people in need.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo   That is certainty true of a lot of people, but not all.

Some of them are having trouble because they and their children have high tech phones, expensive cable and other expensive things. They do not prioritize their spending.

When I volunteered at a school, most of the children there got free or reduced lunch. I am okay with that. I wouldn't have a problem if all lunches were free for everyone.

i was just taking aback when the kids had expensive phones.  I have a Trac phone and the kids made fun of it.  Many kids were sent to school with no winter coats, gloves or hats, but they had expensive phones.

Every year, I as well as teachers would end up buying these kids coats.  I bought dozens of pairs of gloves and hats.  The teachers would not let the kids take the gloves and hats home with them .  After recess, they put them into a box in the class room.  If the kids took the gloves, they would be lost at home.

I also worked with people who would know every church and agency who gave out free clothing, food and paper goods.  They would brag about getting stuff for free, even though they had good paying jobs. They made their rounds every week on certain days and even tried to talk me into doing it too. These good hearted agencies never check to see if people are in need.  They trust everyone.

I am all for helping people who need a hand up.  I have been purchasing groceries and clothing for two elderly women for years.  One is in a nursing home now, so I only shop for one lady now.  Without help, they would have starved. They have/had no money and do not drive.

My advice : If your employer went out of business, you better get busy and look for another job.  Any job is better than none at all.  The rent and mortgages are coming due.  The ban of putting people out for nonpayment is over.

Still, some refuse to work and expect society to support them and there are those agree to just do that.  It's not going to work out well.

People aren't gonna work to pay for others to stay home and collect when they are able to work...not this many people anyway.

I am happy to provide food for those who truly need it and on the other hand would like to kick the butts if those taking advantage. They are theives..plain and simple.

My father used to feed everyone.  I have often mentioned on here that we would wake up to strangers sleeping in our LR because they had nowhere to go.  During holidays and Sundays, my dad would pick up homeless people to share with us.  I remember how dirty and stinky they were and I remember my mother telling my father that these people could kill us in our beds at night.  Still he continued to do so.

I was raised to always help those in need and if I had every dollar my father gave away, I would never have had to work.

Yes, we need to help people, but sometimes letting them work for their keep is helping them more than just giving them enough to survive for one day longer.

Respected Contributor

I try not to judge people, especially when I don't know their circumstances.  What if a single mother lost her good paying job and her childcare was so expensive that a lower paying job won't cover her childcare costs?  What if someone doesn't have a car to get to the job and if they have a car they have to make a choice between housing & food versus gas and insurance for the car.  There are so  many reasons someone wouldn't be able to get a lower paying job that would  have nothing to do with them thinking they're above working at a lower paying job.  I try to help the best I can in our local area as I know many of my friends are and many on this board would do too.  I know many of my friends that are helping their children by taking care of their grandchildren because some of the schools in parts of the country are only doing computer workd and their children need to go to work.  I think most are doing what they can do.  There's always going to be people that will take advantage of the system and that stinks but we must help those we can.

Esteemed Contributor

Judging others is one of the Forums most prolific spectator sports.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Johnnyeager  The business that are looking for help are not resturants or bars.

Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Sam's Club and the grocery stores have signs up asking for help as well as UPS, Nordstrom's and Amazon.

They have also placed advertisements for a help on signs along the road sides.  I even got e-mails from some of these business that I am on their mail lists.

There are plenty of jobs in my area.  Maybe not the job people want, but a job to keep them solvent.  I would do any legal job to be able to pay my bills and provide for my family and I just don't understand why others would not want to do the same if they are able.

I agree with everything you have written here.  It isn't always the job they want.........what in life is?  I have seen people holding up signs saying work for food while they are standing outside a business that has a help wanted sign.  This was BEFORE the pandemic.  Hey, I feel for the people that are in line for food for the first time in their life, but I have also seen the help wanted signs all around......perhaps because we are not in a "lock down" curfewed area businesses are able to stay open and therefore stay afloat.  

I personally don't think those $600 unemployment checks helped the situation when often times it was more than what the person was making.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

I try not to judge people, especially when I don't know their circumstances.  What if a single mother lost her good paying job and her childcare was so expensive that a lower paying job won't cover her childcare costs?  What if someone doesn't have a car to get to the job and if they have a car they have to make a choice between housing & food versus gas and insurance for the car.  There are so  many reasons someone wouldn't be able to get a lower paying job that would  have nothing to do with them thinking they're above working at a lower paying job.  I try to help the best I can in our local area as I know many of my friends are and many on this board would do too.  I know many of my friends that are helping their children by taking care of their grandchildren because some of the schools in parts of the country are only doing computer workd and their children need to go to work.  I think most are doing what they can do.  There's always going to be people that will take advantage of the system and that stinks but we must help those we can.

So, it is better to just sit at home and do nothing  and wait for somone to bail you out?

If you do not have a car to go to work, how do you get in those long lines and sit for hours on end waiting for a box of food?

We are headed for a huge catastrophe right after Christmas.  Many of the government perks will have run out and the rent and mortgages will be due...some people are months behind.  Land lords need their money too.  

More people will be homeless and have no where to go.  It's going to be horrific.  They could have taken a low paying job to pay rent/ mortgage and received help... free food, etc. But no, they stayed home and did nothing.  The day of reckoning is coming.

BTW.  There are MANY people who work at low paying jobs and have for years and they get by.  They might not have money to burn, but they support themselves.

Honored Contributor

It saddens me to see this perception of people we don't know. If in fact I knew that someone was scamming the system and did need any help whatsoever, I would not help that person and would think that it's unconscionable.

Otherwise, I assume the need is there. I'd much rather be occasionally wrong than ever to label someone as a freeloader.

We simply cannot infer what someone else's circumstances are.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland