Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hungry Families this Year

How nice that nearly every business is open and looking for help.  In my neighborhood nearly every small restaurant,  bar and retail boutique is shuttered and boarded up.  Only one grocery store, some drugstores and the liquor store seem to be viable.  I guess the real estate agency with the listings is doing well.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager  The business that are looking for help are not resturants or bars.

Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Sam's Club and the grocery stores have signs up asking for help as well as UPS, Nordstrom's and Amazon.

They have also placed advertisements for a help on signs along the road sides.  I even got e-mails from some of these business that I am on their mail lists.

There are plenty of jobs in my area.  Maybe not the job people want, but a job to keep them solvent.  I would do any legal job to be able to pay my bills and provide for my family and I just don't understand why others would not want to do the same if they are able.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

As I sat in front of my computer lamenting about an item that had sold out before I had time to order, I saw a piece on the news about the number of families struggling for food right now and waiting hours in line for assistance.  The report said that 40% of them had never needed to do this before the pandemic.  

I hope that those of us who are able will contribute to these efforts.  Many of us are so fortunate to be able to work from home or even still have a job when so many are out of work.  

Making a contribution to anyone, organization or cause is a very personal decision to be made by each indivudual. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Johnnyeager  The business that are looking for help are not resturants or bars.

Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Sam's Club and the grocery stores have signs up asking for help as well as UPS, Nordstrom's and Amazon.

They have also placed advertisements for a help on signs along the road sides.  I even got e-mails from some of these business that I am on their mail lists.

There are plenty of jobs in my area.  Maybe not the job people want, but a job to keep them solvent.  I would do any legal job to be able to pay my bills and provide for my family and I just don't understand why others would not want to do the same if they are able.

@Carmie 

I don't know what area you live in, so I obviously cannot speak to what you have posted. Do we have people that do not want to work? Absolutely, but I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of the people that we see heading to food banks, sitting in lines from 1-5 hours have other work options,  and are turning up their nose at these opportunities. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo 

Thank you for starting this thread, we all myself included from time to time forget our blessings. 

I have much too be thankful for. I have not missed a beat during this pandemic, work wise, I am able to telecommute and still pay my bills and purchase non essential items, just because.

I was watching a story last night on the news showing lines to different food banks, across America, and it was just ugly to see that much need in America. They also interviewed a gentleman, who lived in Orange County, lost his six figure job, has a wife who does not work because she stays home to take care of their two young daughters.He lost his job in the beginning of the pandemic. He never thought that he would be in this position, that he would have to put his pride aside and receive help from a food bank. He is looking for ajob but has had no success so far. When you loose that type of income, it's not just a matter of going out and perhaps finding a job at Walmart. Mortgage, Car notes, bills. I can't imagine. 

Financial planners say that you should have at least six months of salary put aside for such emergencies, but many people do not. I just think it's sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Ya know, you could donate to Feeding America, Harvesters, or FarmLink..... jes' saying

No amount is too small, folks!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I think the sad part is those who take advantage of free and there is no reason anyone in America should go hungry.  We have what is needed and all the food programs.  Much is lost in getting the supply to where it is needed.  Integrity, is lacking in delivery.  Churches, grocery stores, neighbors and more would share.  Someday I hope honest help wins.  When you and I do our parts it can be sure no one gose hungry.  Those who taut help. so far, have missed the mark.  When a need is seen follow up is required to ensure the situation is   solved.

Esteemed Contributor

Our community is giving out free turkeys and many restaurant are doing free complete dinners.  Not sure why everyone must have turkey, we are having chicken

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

As I sat in front of my computer lamenting about an item that had sold out before I had time to order, I saw a piece on the news about the number of families struggling for food right now and waiting hours in line for assistance.  The report said that 40% of them had never needed to do this before the pandemic.  

I hope that those of us who are able will contribute to these efforts.  Many of us are so fortunate to be able to work from home or even still have a job when so many are out of work.  

People suddenly out of work from good paying white collar jobs still have to pay their mortgages and bills and their children's expenses. Many have already used up a lot of their savings. Working part time at Walmart would not save them from losing their expensive home.

I don't think some folks here understand how widespread these issues are. It's not just one small socioeconomic group who has been affected by the Covid economic disaster. Food insecurity is affecting people who never thought they would be on the receiving end of a donated meal. These are people like you and me.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@matty liz wrote:

I think the sad part is those who take advantage of free and there is no reason anyone in America should go hungry.  We have what is needed and all the food programs.  Much is lost in getting the supply to where it is needed.  Integrity, is lacking in delivery.  Churches, grocery stores, neighbors and more would share.  Someday I hope honest help wins.  When you and I do our parts it can be sure no one gose hungry.  Those who taut help. so far, have missed the mark.  When a need is seen follow up is required to ensure the situation is   solved.

@matty liz, I'm not sure and have not heard that there is a big problem with integrity regarding the distribution of needed food.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland