Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbird Feeder

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

Here it is...

@silkyk  Yes, there are lots of resources/books/even a couple of hummer forums to learn more. A lot of hummer lovers really should get some background info on the little cuties. Most folks don't realize the regions where the various species are within the 49 states (not including HI). Most species are along the west coast and from the midwest to the eastern shore is mainly the Ruby-throated.

We've had a few Rufus pass through our place when migrating...a rare sighting where we are! We keep hoping to see a mature male with it's cinnimon coat of feathers. So far just juvie male and female Rufus hummers...not complaining though Smiley Happy

there are some folks that have a hard time distinguishing even the sexes of the hummingbirds. Many times without having a good camera or binocs, it's hard to tell the difference between a female Ruby-throated hummingbird and a female...just another example of fun things to know about these tiny packages of joy.

I remember when DH and I started to feed the hummingbirds back in the Fall of 2007. That winter we bought several hummer books/birding books. We wanted to learn all we could and literally inhaled as much as we could that year! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

If you love watching those hummers as much as I do you should get this fountain at Kmart! Red to attract them and  they love bathing in it.Looks like this and a video on the tube shows how much they like it. I posted this before but for all those who love hummingbirds this is a must have!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1f7CHNcUA

Essential Garden Red Glazed Pot Fountain

@silkyk  Thank you for posting the video and info,,,I just ordered one!!! Smiley Very Happy

@silkyk  Just an update...just ordered a 2nd one while it is still in stock. I figured, just in case the other one stops working, we'll have a spare. Thanks again for letting everyone know that KMart has the best price...and currently with FREE S&H too!

Looking forward to putting it out for the little cuties!!! Smiley Very Happy

LOL! I did the same thing when I saw they were on clearance and FREE shipping! WOW! I like a backup too! I though I would also recommend a lovely little book on hummers that you can pick up on Amazon for as little as 1 cent. It's a dandy small guide to these little guys. Called "Hummers of North America" By M. Miller. I'll find a pic.

@silkyk  We just got our 2 today...WOOT! You mentioned 'clearance', so I went back to KMart online and checked the price again...it's down by almost $5 each from when I bought them 2 days ago! So I just called their CS dept and got credited the price difference of the fountains + tax difference for an extra $10+ savings. Boy! The shipping was real speedy too. I can't wait til we try them out Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

If you love watching those hummers as much as I do you should get this fountain at Kmart! Red to attract them and  they love bathing in it.Looks like this and a video on the tube shows how much they like it. I posted this before but for all those who love hummingbirds this is a must have!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1f7CHNcUA

@silkyk  Thank you for posting the video and info,,,I just ordered one!!! Smiley Very Happy

@silkyk  Just an update...just ordered a 2nd one while it is still in stock. I figured, just in case the other one stops working, we'll have a spare. Thanks again for letting everyone know that KMart has the best price...and currently with FREE S&H too!

LOL! I did the same thing when I saw they were on clearance and FREE shipping! WOW! I like a backup too! I though I would also recommend a lovely little book on hummers that you can pick up on Amazon for as little as 1 cent. It's a dandy small guide to these little guys. Called "Hummers of North America" By M. Miller. I'll find a pic.

@silkyk  We just got our 2 today...WOOT! You mentioned 'clearance', so I went back to KMart online and checked the price again...it's down by almost $5 each from when I bought them 2 days ago! So I just called their CS dept and got credited the price difference of the fountains + tax difference for an extra $10+ savings. Boy! The shipping was real speedy too. I can't wait til we try them out Smiley Very Happy

@silkyk   Another update...OMG! This fountain is AWESOME!!! DH just hooked it up...LOVE!!! We are all ready for our hummer visitors now Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

@silkyk   Another update...OMG! This fountain is AWESOME!!! DH just hooked it up...LOVE!!! We are all ready for our hummer visitors now Smiley Very Happy

Enjoy your fountain! Nice that they gave you a refund too. If you use those simple tube feeders you can bend the wire hanger around the side handles of the fountain and then the little guys can dine and bath. SO fun to watch. The goldfinch have discovered our fountain and their bright yellow coloring against the red fountain is so darn pretty. We have a bigger fountain too but this one just seems to get all the action and seems to attract the smaller songbirds and hummers. Even seen a few dragonflies cruise by. I love how it looks at night..the lights are a bonus! Again ENJOY! (waiting for my backup to arrive today!)

Super Contributor

I just ordered one, too.  Free shipping and on clearance..life is good.

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

I just ordered one, too.  Free shipping and on clearance..life is good.

@excpa You will love it!!! $42.52 with FREE S&H is a great deal! We will all have to post back with pics when we have hummers use them Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Here's another video of the hummers using the fountain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tSE9r2-ung

Respected Contributor

So glad everyone jumped on that great sale price on the fountain. You all will LOVE it! I came across a hummer goodie over on etsy....Handheld Hummingbird feeders! Must have! Check them out...2 for $6.95. https://www.etsy.com/listing/214575432/2-handheld-hummingbird-feeders?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_sear... Big fun!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hummingbird Feeder

[ Edited ]

I had enough points to get the fountain for free.  I took the 2 year protection plan.  I didn't think to buy a 2nd one!  I may go back to do that.

@silkykThese hand held feeders look great too.  I think are hummers have some "chicken" in them.  lol  They are a little skitish when we are outside.  Maybe someday.....

Honored Contributor

That red bath is no longer on kmart dot com.   Does anyone know the brand name ... or something?