Trusted Contributor

Re: Humming Birds Are Eating Me Out Of House And Home

The hummers are not the problem.  It's the sparrows that won't stop drinking and depleting the nectar.  I'm in Southern California. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am not in CA, I am in PA. But you are lucky! Last year was the first year we even had hummingbirds at our hummingbird feeders. This year I haven't seen a one. Many other birds are at our feeders in general, and in our bird houses, but no hummingbirds.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

Enjoy! We never see hummingbirds! Love them! So jealous~!

Esteemed Contributor

Hummers feed on my plants. I throw out peanuts for Jays, Thrashers and Cardinals. They have me trained. LOL
Esteemed Contributor

Slightly O/T:  I'm enjoying finch activity at my thistle sock right now (I have a hummingbird feeder also).  The sound of their trill is delightful and no other critters care about the nyjer (oh sometimes a chickadee comes along - but I love them too).  A bear or other climber has stolen my suet holders for months now (they totally disappear) so I have to bring them in at night but the activity during daylight is amazing.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:
Hummers feed on my plants. I throw out peanuts for Jays, Thrashers and Cardinals. They have me trained. LOL

Isn't that the truth?!  Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

@nafecar wrote:

I filled the feeder yesterday late afternoon and this am it is completely gone . I have never had so many little ones before. When I went out to replenish it they were getting quite close         to me while I re hung the feeder . Has any one else in So Cal had this happen?Woman Surprised

how exciting!!!!  My boyfriend has a feeder in Wisconsin and gets a few lost ones that should be in Souther Cali in my opinion.  You live in my favorite place in this country!

Respected Contributor

I always get the ole hairy eyeball when I'm at the grocery store and buying 2 or 3 BIG bags of sugar. People behind me in line think I have a serious sugar jones going on. I let them think what they will....then I go home and ha ha with my hummers. Love those little guys!

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Slightly O/T:  I'm enjoying finch activity at my thistle sock right now (I have a hummingbird feeder also).  The sound of their trill is delightful and no other critters care about the nyjer (oh sometimes a chickadee comes along - but I love them too).  A bear or other climber has stolen my suet holders for months now (they totally disappear) so I have to bring them in at night but the activity during daylight is amazing.

I love the finches! Although, I had to remove the feeder, I had thistle spouting in my landscaping and yard and it's a pain to remove. I don't feed the other birds in the summer. I have hummingbirds and butterflies all over my flowers, and yesterday while weeding, I saw a hummingbird moth. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't have a humming bird feeder but the regular birds are what is eating me out of house and home.  I do have a bird feeding station which is a black pole with several hooks coming off to hang various feeders on.

I have 3 feeders I put birdsead in and then one cage that I put suet in and then there is a spot for a round plastic bowl filled with water.

I cannot believe how messy the birds are.  I bet there is at least 5 pounds of seed if not more, underneath this feeding station.  I go out once in awhile and try and dig it all out and toss it.  Wherever that seed is on the ground is causing a lot of sprouting of weeds, another headache.

I am going through a 35 pound bag of seed every week and a half! 

don't fill the feeders in the summer!  you should taper off in the spring. they have a lot of bugs and other things to eat in the spring/summer

Someone told me that but the spring, summer and fall is when I get the most activity at my feeders.  I don't get a lot in the winter.