Valued Contributor

Humming Birds Are Eating Me Out Of House And Home

I filled the feeder yesterday late afternoon and this am it is completely gone . I have never had so many little ones before. When I went out to replenish it they were getting quite close         to me while I re hung the feeder . Has any one else in So Cal had this happen?Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

Re: Humming Birds Are Eating Me Out Of House And Home

@nafecar wrote:

I filled the feeder yesterday late afternoon and this am it is completely gone . I have never had so many little ones before. When I went out to replenish it they were getting quite close         to me while I re hung the feeder . Has any one else in So Cal had this happen?Woman Surprised

I'm cenral valley and I have a ton of hummers, I have to fill every other day, but I also have 9 feeders out in the yard...................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

Our regular birds are eating us out of house and home - I can't believe how much bird seed they chow down on.  BUT...  I noticed the other day we have other critters eating the seed, too - a mama deer, a little rat looking thing, and my cat!! 

Respected Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

Our regular birds are eating us out of house and home - I can't believe how much bird seed they chow down on.  BUT...  I noticed the other day we have other critters eating the seed, too - a mama deer, a little rat looking thing, and my cat!! 

One night, I turned on the outside light and saw a line of rats climbing up my deck chair and eating out of my bird feeder.  I found numerous rat holes under my deck.  Now, I don't have any more bird feeders.  So sad.

Respected Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@Shogirl wrote:

One night, I turned on the outside light and saw a line of rats climbing up my deck chair and eating out of my bird feeder.  I found numerous rat holes under my deck.  Now, I don't have any more bird feeders.  So sad.

Have you tried using a shepherd's hook pole............that's what we use now.......we got it when we found out the bird seed feeders were attracting possums.. they never went to kindergarten and never learned to play well with others............it was better for the dogs if they went elsewhere for dinner..............the hook poles did the trick.........the hummer feeders we still have in the trees.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I had a real problem with squirrels.  I started mixing in cayenne pepper with the bird seed and on the feeder itself.  Does nothing to the birds but squirrels will not go near it.   It irritates them as much as us. Problem has been solved and my days of buying a bag a week have gone away.  

Honored Contributor

I don't have a humming bird feeder but the regular birds are what is eating me out of house and home.  I do have a bird feeding station which is a black pole with several hooks coming off to hang various feeders on.

I have 3 feeders I put birdsead in and then one cage that I put suet in and then there is a spot for a round plastic bowl filled with water.

I cannot believe how messy the birds are.  I bet there is at least 5 pounds of seed if not more, underneath this feeding station.  I go out once in awhile and try and dig it all out and toss it.  Wherever that seed is on the ground is causing a lot of sprouting of weeds, another headache.

I am going through a 35 pound bag of seed every week and a half! 

Honored Contributor

Nafey,

I'm in the same boat--I just bought 20 lbs of sugar the other day because I was completely out all of a sudden.  This time of year our hummingbirds start feeding voraciously.  I'm not in California, but in the mid-south.  It happens every year.  I think it's a combination of our native plants going dormant so their other food sources literally dry up, and the young birds growing up and beginning to become more dominant with the older birds at the feeders.  Perhaps your deluge is related to the CA drought?

In another month or six weeks, we'll also start to get the migratory hummies and then the fun really begins!  I can fill up large feeders (4 cup size) twice a day!  That lasts until our first touch of cold weather when they gradually start to leave. 

But for about two months, they have me hopping!  I hope you enjoy your little guys as much as we do.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Well, I'm not in CA and I don't have a hummingbird feeder, but my usual cast of characters here in Michigan are eating up a storm.  I have several bird varieties, some squirrels that have brought their children and a rabbit or two.  The 4 ducks that were coming by to eat regularly put me down by mid June.

This is a busy time of year in my yard - everybody having babies.  I love it.  I watch for bird seed sales every time I go to the store - whether or not I need the seed right at that time.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nafecar wrote:

Plant Salvias that bloom at different times of the year.  Hummers love these, any color. Once they are established, they are drought tolerant, I know, I am in Northern Ca.  I have hummers in the garden all year long.