Honored Contributor

Hugh O'Brian Dies At Age 91

[ Edited ]

I always thought he was so handsome and a good actor.

RIP

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-hugh-obrian-snap-story.html

Honored Contributor

Re: Hugh O'Brian Dies At Age 91

Hugh O'Brian

Honored Contributor

Oh no!  My favorite Wyatt Earp!  I had such a crush on him when that series was on TV.  So sorry to hear that.😔

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never heard of him, probably because I was born in 1960.  He had a good life and long life; he did good work and gave back.  Can't ask for more than that.  

Honored Contributor

I even loved the theme song! Wonderful actor, wonderful human being.

Honored Contributor

He is and was handsome.  May he rest in peace and may we remember the great actor that he was.  He had a good career ... he started a good legacy.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Wonderful story:

... O'Brian's most enduring legacy is off-screen.

More than 375,000 high school sophomores selected by their schools have gone through his Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership organization, which was founded “to inspire and develop our global community of youth and volunteers to a life dedicated to leadership, service and innovation.”

The nonprofit organization grew out of an invitation to O'Brian from Dr. Albert Schweitzer to visit the medical missionary, a 1952 Nobel Peace Prize recipient, at his famed hospital in Africa.

O'Brian spent nine days working as a volunteer at the hospital on the banks of the Ogooue River in Gabon during the summer of 1958.

For O'Brian, it was a life-changing experience.

After dinner each evening, he and Schweitzer would spend hours talking.

As O'Brian was getting ready to depart down river, he later recalled, Schweitzer took his hand and asked, “Hugh, what are you going to do with this?”

On his flight back to the United States, O'Brian reflected on Schweitzer's comment that “the most important part of education is teaching young people to think for themselves.”

Hugh O'Brian enlisted as a Marine in 1943 and later attended Yale.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I never heard of him, probably because I was born in 1960.  He had a good life and long life; he did good work and gave back.  Can't ask for more than that.  

He has been in other things on TV and then there are the reruns.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

Thanks for this thread. I am one that has always enjoyed almost all of the old westerns, both movies and TV series. Have to say that Hugh O'Brian was one of my very favorites as Wyatt Earp.

I know he did some other acting gigs, but for some reason I just saw him as the Sheriff of, I think it was Tombstone. He will be missed by many old cowboy lovers like myself.

My condolences to his family and all that loved him.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

May he rest in peace,

Image result for rest in peace animated images