Honored Contributor

Re: Hugh Grant: Did he REALLY have to say that?

@icezeus wrote:

@MrsSB 

The woman in the stupid wedding dress. Annoyed me so much. I thought it was incredibly rude.

They should have told her to take off her veil or go and sit in the nose bleed section. 

Right on @icezeus .  Incredibly rude of the wedding dress lady!

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@MrsSB 

The woman in the stupid wedding dress. Annoyed me so much. I thought it was incredibly rude.

They should have told her to take off her veil or go and sit in the nose bleed section. 

Right on @icezeus .  Incredibly rude of the wedding dress lady!

She looked like she could have been waiting for an Oscar for Runaway Bride.  She should have run faster and left the dress behind.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@Venezia Thanks for your insight......if anyone would be able to assess the situation, you would be most qualified.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@layla2450 wrote:

If HG is UNCOMFORTABLE with ALL the FANFARE, here's what he can do - STAY HOME - EASY PEASY. I DOUBT that he would be MISSED. He is NOT FUNNY.

@layla2450 - He was asked to present an award and he accepted.

No, he doesn't need to stay home.  There are plenty of us who like him and think he IS FUNNY.  And plenty who would miss him - otherwise he wouldn't be a successful actor.  And he IS, whether you like it or not.

So you watch what you want and I'll do the same.

(And just to add, I find those "interviews" banal and cringe worthy.  Total waste of time and oxygen.  Not surprised he couldn't wait to get away.)

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

I actually think it's healthy that there is so much discussion, through the Hugh Grant series of exchanges, of what shape public discourse should have.

So much of the resulting Twitter and other online talk, and frankly, to my mind, excuse-making, has to do with a lack of priorities.

If your highest priority is to try to treat others as you would have them treat you, then you'll behave with kindness, and you'll overlook some things..   

Are there plenty of dizzy, shallow people out there, who might ask fatuous questions-- yes.  Should we signal our "superiority" to them by dismissiveness, eye-rolling etc.?

In my world, no.   And yes, it is quite possible to flex a subtle, sardonic, even caustic British humor,  without shafting personal petulance toward other human beings.

Exercizing a tolerant, bemused restraint in the face of absurdity would be a course better taken in situations like Mr. Grant found himself.   And would speak better of his character.

Well, Hugh, you are no doubt hanging on every word of my quibble.   Carry on.

Esteemed Contributor

The gown was absolutely exquisite, she looked stunning. It truly is an entrance red carpet piece. Problem when other celebs where extremely

large outfits they change before they are seated.

It actually had a bridal gown feel. She looks totally oblivious to the problem.

Honored Contributor

I watched the interview. That Graham person was an inept interviewer. The questions were leading and uninspired. Hugh Grant has wit, she had an opportunity to get a noteworthy interview, but she was unprepared and dull.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain - Exactly!  There are those saying she's never done this before and was out of her depth.

Well, then, don't put her on the "champagne" carpet.  (Can you imagine if Joan Rivers had still been with us?  She could trade "wit" with anyone.  AND she'd have gotten his references.)

Respected Contributor

The "interviewer" was inept, inexperienced, incompetent, unprepared and totally ill-equipped.

I do not blame my man Hugh at all.

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking about my son and how often people have told me what a great guy he is. One thing I know is that he isn't a boorish, self congratulatory jerk. He has the class to realize that manners count. Men like that are needed in our world. We accept far too much and excuse outright bad manners. Hugh Grant is a prime example of everything I hope moms don't teach their sons to be. Kindness and respect never go out of style.