Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huge tree just fell over in my front yard

@LilacTree That's what happens with lots of rainfall and old trees.  

Two days ago, a boy was seriously injured while skateboarding on a sidewalk when a large tree fell.  The boy had his back broken in several places and other bones damaged.  

AND, just because the rain goes away, doesn't mean an old or large tree won't come down later.  Winds will get them to uproot and come up out of the ground. 

It's a good thing that the tree you had come down didn't injure life or property. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Two days ago, a boy was seriously injured while skateboarding on a sidewalk when a large tree fell.  The boy had his back broken in several places and other bones damaged.  

AND, just because the rain goes away, doesn't mean an old or large tree won't come down later.  Winds will get them to uproot and come up out of the ground. 

It's a good thing that the tree you had come down didn't injure life or property. 

@Puzzle Piece

The tree service has not yet arrived.  The tree is still just lying there.  Maintenance said it's because it's the weekend and their regular staff is not there.  I thought the weekend started on Saturday, not Thursday. 

Oops . . . they just pulled up!  If they don't top off this tree right next to my bedroom today, I think I will sleep in the living room tonight.  They are sawing off branches right now.  Now the trunk . . . OMG they're doing this so fast!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They saw off the branches, put them through a wood chipper which is attached to a huge bay-like truck and what was a branch streams through in tiny pieces from the chipper to the truck.

The top part of the tree is almost gone now.

I wonder if they cut the large part of the trunk into firewood?  Nope, it's going right into the chipper.

Now they're blowing the smaller branches and leaves into piles and raking them into trash cans.  It doesn't look as though they are going to top off the tree next to my window.  They are leaving.

The only thing left is the largest bottom part of the trunk and and the big black dirt ball.

They weren't here even a half hour.  Amazing to watch.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

It's too bad they didn't also fix the tree near your bedroom.  I think their tactic is to wait until something happens, rather than to take preventative action.  I would also be worried about that and be looking for a different place to sleep.  Cat Sad

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Puzzle Piece

That poor boy.  He will suffer from these injuries the rest of his life.  Backs don't heal very well, especially if they're actually broken. 

I'm afraid of this tree now.  I will no longer stay in my room while any storm is going on, that's for sure.  I haven't seen a single squirrel since that tree came down and they scampered away.  They're probably hiding in the tree right next to me.  If there were nests, they are surely gone and that breaks my heart.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

It's too bad they didn't also fix the tree near your bedroom.  I think their tactic is to wait until something happens, rather than to take preventative action.  I would also be worried about that and be looking for a different place to sleep.  Cat Sad

@2blonde

The maintenance guy said he'd ask them to top off this tree.  I guess they said no.  I'm trying to decide whether I want to get involved in a wrangle with management if they don't follow through.

Besides me, all of my important records and documents are in this room, and there's no other place for them.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

So many fallen trees this Spring.   We had a huge tree in our backyard fall, 2-3 weeks ago.

I think, as you mentioned, that the excessive amount of water this year must have contributed because, although it gets pretty windy up here, there wasn't even any wind that day.

It just suddenly came crashing down.   I was in the kitchen, but just away from the window putting on my gloves so I was a nano-second from being able to see it when I would have gone back to the sink.   

The crash was monumental.  We were also lucky in the direction it fell.  Had it fallen north it would have crashed through out deck (this was really a very large tree), the hot tub, and over the back of the house.  Had it fallen south it would have not only crashed through the back fence and into their yard, it would have taken down ALL the power lines!

Anyway, glad everybody there is ok and it fell the direction it did and when it did!

Honored Contributor

We had 100+ mph winds here several months ago. You wouldn't believe how many trees toppled over! It was disastrous. Fortunately only one person got hurt and it was from a chainsaw accident which happened while trying to remove one of the trees. I was holding my breath praying my trees were spared and they were...tg! There were people crying over losing their trees. Some of the trees were old and were like "family" to some of their owners...sad. I would cry, too.

Honored Contributor

SilleeMee wrote:

We had 100+ mph winds here several months ago. You wouldn't believe how many trees toppled over! It was disastrous. Fortunately only one person got hurt and it was from a chainsaw accident which happened while trying to remove one of the trees. I was holding my breath praying my trees were spared and they were...tg! There were people crying over losing their trees. Some of the trees were old and were like "family" to some of their owners...sad. I would cry, too.

I hear that!  I'm always sad for a tree to die.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Pine trees fall all the time up here,because of shallow roots.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.