Honored Contributor

Re: Huge tree just fell over in my front yard

I just looked out of my window.  They have the lawn sprinklers on.  Are they crazy?  There are still pools of water all over the place!!

Maybe it's set automatically and someone will shut it off.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Thankfully it fell toward the street.  My daughter had just left three minutes before it fell right where her car was parked.  Ground very wet here from all the rain last week.  I actually watched it fall, it was weird.  I felt so sorry for the squirrels who were running everywhere, I hope none were killed.

There is another tree right in front of my bedroom window.  It also leans slightly toward the street, but if it fell this way, it would crash through the roof above me.  It's much larger than the tree that fell, which is large enough.

Tree service  not here yet.  I asked the maintenance men to make sure they trim off the top of the tree because that's why the other one fell . . . top heavy with fragile roots.

I noticed they cut down some trees a few apartments down, so they must have been aware of the problem.

There are so pretty, it's a shame.  But too dangerous.

Not sure where you live, but that happens all the time in my neighborhood. Long ago the city determined it would be cool to line the main street through my area with many many ash trees that have very small root balls. Being in the Pacific Northwest, we get lots of rain, but never more than the past 10 years. One time about 8 years ago, we lost 27 of those trees down that corridor...rain coupled with wind. Last summer for no reason at all, one a block away just fell on a sunny lovely day smashing parked cars and blocking the entire road.  Miraculously, despite the fact that some have hit houses and some have hit only parked cars, none have killed anybody. The trees are beautiful in the summer with their lacy leaves, but they are dirty trees that drop things year round, and they fall over.

Honored Contributor

They topped off three more trees in my front yard today.  I am relieved but worried about the squirrels and birds nests.  They obviously do not care about that. 

That barge-type truck they use to blow the chips into is nearly full.  I can see everything from my bedroom window.

[Some hunky lookin' guys out there, LOL.)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the birds and squirrels, they will rebuild their nests somewhere else.

It's what nature does.

Esteemed Contributor

My neighbors had a tree on the bank of the creek on their property just fall over one day, fortunately across the creek and not on their house. She called me to come over and look at it, and when I got there this squirrel who apparently had left to bury nuts or dig up tulip bulbs had just returned to where he thought his tree was. He scurried around and kept going in circles trying to figure out what had happened. It was kind of comical and tragic at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

My neighbors had a tree on the bank of the creek on their property just fall over one day, fortunately across the creek and not on their house. She called me to come over and look at it, and when I got there this squirrel who apparently had left to bury nuts or dig up tulip bulbs had just returned to where he thought his tree was. He scurried around and kept going in circles trying to figure out what had happened. It was kind of comical and tragic at the same time. 

@RainCityWoman

I was up very close (10-12 ft) when all this tree stuff started.  The tree that fell was down for an hour before they came, so many squirrels might have been able to escape.

The three trees today had not fallen but were being topped off.  They sawed those branches down and put them in the chipper so fast and I knew they weren't looking for anything alive, just sawed and thrown right into the chipper was what they did in ten seconds. 

I hate the thought of it because a lot of the squirrels that had lost their homes when the first tree fell down probably took refuge in these three trees.  They took all the foliage off, now there is nothing but bare branches sticking up . . . it looks so strange.  Since spring just started, I imagine branches and leaves will begin to grow before the end of the summer.

I'm not blaming them, this had to be done, and I was surely in the path of these trees, but it's sad anyway.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I always worry about the nests, too.  It's pretty much all birdies for me.  But our tree that fell had this one hole in it, way up high, that was a popular nesting point.  It used to belong to the little bitty birdies but then, a couple of years ago, the polka-dot birdies took it over.  (sorry, I don't know any of their proper names)

I was sick about that for a while and, during the time right after, it just broke my heart seeing some of them flying around in disbelief .  Smiley Sad  Sad birdies make chickie very sad.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I always worry about the nests, too.  It's pretty much all birdies for me.  But our tree that fell had this one hole in it, way up high, that was a popular nesting point.  It used to belong to the little bitty birdies but then, a couple of years ago, the polka-dot birdies took it over.  (sorry, I don't know any of their proper names)

I was sick about that for a while and, during the time right after, it just broke my heart seeing some of them flying around in disbelief .  Smiley Sad  Sad birdies make chickie very sad.

@chickenbutt

You're softhearted, CB . . . just like me.  I knew there must have been nests in those branches, but these guys just don't bother with that, and I guess they can't take the time to worry about what to do with squirrel and bird nests.  They do this stuff all day long.  Still it's sad.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I totally understand!   I've been lucky in that anybody we've ever gotten to do tree stuff or other yard stuff has been receptive to my pleas about not hurting any wildlife.  

Every Spring I love seeing the birdie babies but every Spring I also anguish about anything bad happening and get my heart broken at least once every year.  Smiley Sad