Honored Contributor

Re: Huge tree just fell over in my front yard

From here in hurricane alley, allow me to say,  large, deciduous trees (oaks, maples) have shallow roots, not nearly as large as the tree's crown.  When the ground is saturated, and the tree leaves are out the trees are just like big sails in the wind.  Even a fairly light wind can blow one over. 

I believe Pine trees have taproots and generally snap partway up rather than toppling over.  At least that's true for long leaf pines and cedars.

@LilacTree

Glad you are Ok.  It would be nice to think that they would be cut into firewood.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree   What are corn cob shades?  I have never heard of them..

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

From here in hurricane alley, allow me to say,  large, deciduous trees (oaks, maples) have shallow roots, not nearly as large as the tree's crown.  When the ground is saturated, and the tree leaves are out the trees are just like big sails in the wind.  Even a fairly light wind can blow one over. 

I believe Pine trees have taproots and generally snap partway up rather than toppling over.  At least that's true for long leaf pines and cedars.

@LilacTree

Glad you are Ok.  It would be nice to think that they would be cut into firewood.

@Drythe

We were told these were "pear trees."  I never thought a pear tree could be so big and tall . . . and I've never seen a pear.  Maybe the squirrels ate them before they ripened and fell to the ground.  I don't think this maintenance man was correct.

So far none of the other four trees in my front yard (including the one next to my window) have fallen.  But to say I wasn't nervous last night would be a understatement, to say the least!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie

I hate to say it, but look them up on Google.  There is a whole page of them.

They're two sided and when opened one can look through the ends and see a diamond shape.  When closed, they look like an accordian.  We always leave ours open at the top for about 8 to 10 inches which gives a lot of light to the room, yet is private.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Glad you asked,i wondered the same thing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

We were told these were "pear trees."  I never thought a pear tree could be so big and tall . . . and I've never seen a pear.  Maybe the squirrels ate them before they ripened and fell to the ground.  I don't think this maintenance man was correct.

So far none of the other four trees in my front yard (including the one next to my window) have fallen.  But to say I wasn't nervous last night would be a understatement, to say the least!!

Are they those stinky Bradford Pear trees?  They have pretty but terrible smelling blossoms and no fruit.  The trees are inexpensive and fast growing so complexes use them to fill in space.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Are they those stinky Bradford Pear trees?  They have pretty but terrible smelling blossoms and no fruit.  The trees are inexpensive and fast growing so complexes use them to fill in space.

@muttmom

Maybe, I don't know.  They don't stink though, and there are never any pears.  However, these are very large trees.  My daughter told me this area was all swamp years ago.

I MISS MY SQUIRRELS!!  I used to see them every single day, dozens of them.  They have obviously moved, but not to the tree in front of my window.  Maybe further away.  I know nests were lost, and that saddens me. 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Glad you asked,i wondered the same thing.

@goldensrbest@Carmie

I'm sorry, I meant to say "honeycomb cellular shades" which are for windows, obviously.  I'm so embarrassed.  Glass corn cob shades are for lamps and completely different.  Forgive me!!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  We lost our ash trees to the same bug over a decade ago.

Each side of the street was lined with ash trees and the city decided to take them down.  Mine wasn't sick but I guess it was done to stop the carnage.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@2blonde  We lost our ash trees to the same bug over a decade ago.

Each side of the street was lined with ash trees and the city decided to take them down.  Mine wasn't sick but I guess it was done to stop the carnage.

@Bird mama  Yes, the Emerald Ash Borer beetle has been migrating from west to east for many years.  They tried to keep it out of Ohio by banning the wood being brought in from other states, but the beetles did finally reach us (obviously they can fly).  They lay their eggs on the tree, and it's actually the larvae that are responsible for the gradual destruction of the tree (they suck the life out of it).  You can tell when a tree has been infected because you will see some dead branches begin to appear near the crown.

Eventually, the woodpeckers will start pecking away at the bark to get at the larvae for food.  You can see the bark coming off the tree at that point, and that's when you know it's about gone.  Sometimes the tree will start sprouting little branches near the base, as a last ditch effort to save itself.  There is no cure, and it's really a sad process to observe if you're a nature lover like me.

Laura loves cats!